Options

I am not Happy!

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Today after work I decided to go to Barns and Noble and do some studying.
When I got there I went to the computer book section and was looking around when I noticed the Exam Cram 2 650 questions book . I sat down and started to read, In the first chapter I was doing very well.
I was answering all the questions right. Now I was reading chapter two and I got a big surprise.
I came across questions that I had never seen in any of the Network Plus Material I have.
I really got upset because I have spent a lot of time studying for this test and I have been thinking about putting down the $245 bucks for the exam and now I am not so sure I am ready to take this test.
These questions I am about to type out are in regards to Wireless Technologies.
My main Network Plus book does not even mention decibels,sunspots,atmospheric noise etc. Nor does any of my other material for the Network Plus test.
So I have decided to pick up the CWNP book as it has alot of this type of information in it.
My question is....Am I making to big a deal of this?

Here are some of the sample questions I copied from the book.

Question One:
Which of the following types of noise results from sunspot activity?
A.Impuluse Noise
B.Atmospheric noise
C.Frequency noise
D.Cross talk

Question Two:
Which of the following types of noise is caused by engine ignition systems.
A. Sunspots
B.Crosstalk
C.Impulse noise
D.Twists in the cabling

Question Three:
If the power of the noise is 5mW,and the power of the desired signal is 50mW,what is the SNR,in decibels?
A. 18dB
B.10dB
C. 5dB
D. 70dB
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I took my Net+ last year and I don't remember those questions. I don't know if I would worry to much about them because I didn't notice anything about them in the exam objectives. Here is the link to the objectives: http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives/Network2005_Objectives.pdf

Have a good one!

:D
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Also, I forgot to mention! Here is a website were you can purchase the exam voucher cheaper than the $245 you mentioned. If you get one that is about to expire then you can get it even cheaper, just watch the site for deals.

Look under hot deals daily and they post exam vouchers that expire within a week or so and they price them cheaper.

http://www.getcertify4less.com/hotdeals.asp (notice the price of the net+ voucher is $179)

:D
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're going to notice that with any certification books. No one certification book will contain all the information you need for everything. Many people actually use a couple books to make sure they get as much information as possible to learn as possible to be as prepared as possible for the exam. It's good that you went and studied off of another book, and you are finding additional information. We all go through this, hence the reason why many of us use a 2nd book.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    You're going to notice that with any certification books. No one certification book will contain all the information you need for everything. Many people actually use a couple books to make sure they get as much information as possible to learn as possible to be as prepared as possible for the exam. It's good that you went and studied off of another book, and you are finding additional information. We all go through this, hence the reason why many of us use a 2nd book.

Yes, I am pulling alot of information from alot of different sources.
    I really want to pass this test. I don't expect to know everything or remember eveything at test time but I want to get as many answers as right as possible.
    Tomarow at Barns and Noble I am going to read that CWNP book even thou alot of the material is out of the scope of the network plus test but I feel I need to at least copy some of the terms and memorize what I can so I'll be ready if any questions come up on the test
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    The ham radio technician’s license is a half decent introduction to RF and electrical engineering.

It is also cool because for only like $35 you get FCC licensed and it can be a nice break from IT certifications.

If you are interested pick up a copy of a book called "Now You're Talking".

I learned quite a bit from it.
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't know if you were planning to pursue this further or not, but I actually began starting to study for the CCNA exam before Net+ and took the N+ because I was too scared to do CCNA. I passed, though not with the greatest score I must admit. But having studied CCNA material the true networking information I had in my head more than covered the actual networking portion of the N+ exam. So if you had CCNA in your sights may I suggest picking up the CCNA test prep books and studying them along with an N+ cram to fill in the usual Comptia fluff? I've heard the exam cram for N+ is pretty good to round out the edges.
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The first certification exam is always the most intimidating. I wouldn't worry too much about obscure questions, and things of the like. If you feel that you know the concepts, that you're doing well on the practice questions in your book, and you can do the hands-on work with little or no problems, you're ready. Set yourself a date, study hard, and make sure you meet the deadline. If you don't, you'll never get yourself into that testing center and just get it done.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    p0etp0et Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had found another practice exam that had those same questions that threw me way off. It also has a couple of contradicting ones like:

What type of connection is required at a hub port that's marked MDI-X?

A) Straight-through pinning at the port connector is required.

B) Use an AUI cable at the port.

C) A crossover cable is required at the port.

D) A BNC connector must be used.

ANSWER: A. MDI-X (Media Dependent Interface-Crossover) means that a cable connected to the port should be wired using straight-through pinning.

A hub port is marked MDI-X. What does this mean?

A) The port is unavailable.

B) A crossover cable is required at the port.

C) A coaxial cable is required at the port.

D) A separate transceiver is required at the port

ANSWER: B. MDI-X, or Media Dependent Interface-Crossover, is an indication that a crossover cable must be used between the hub port and connected workstation or another hub.

Aren't both questions asking the same thing? And both answers are different from each other? Which is correct?