Options

Outlook and Exchange Problems

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there I have a support request for a user who is having numerous Outlook problems I thought I would seek some pointers from the excellent range of knowledge that is present in this forum.

Firstly the user's Outlook is missing the Contacts section ( there are no contacts showing )

Secondly the user has lost past emails ( apparently auto archive was turnt on )

How do I go about searching for these lost emails?

Thirdly user is having problems where they are not receiving emails straight away

( emails are arriving in the inbox 2 or 3 days later)

I have spoken to the SYSADMIN who suggested that windows firewalls may be clashing with outlook we disabled it in the past and the late email problem seemed to be resolved.

But unfortuantley when windows XP automatically updates the Firewall for some reason turns on

Also he mentioned something about a notification protocol on the exchange server not being sent to the user's mailbox when new mail arrrives.

Your thoughts are most welcome and once again I appreciate the general helpfulness of members on this forum you are providing me with valuable knowledge.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look for the archived emails in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst

You'll have to open it in Outlook (new > Personal Folder).
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Also, make sure all new mail is being delivered to his mailbox file on the exchange server......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure the Outlook client is not set to Work Offline too. Also, do they use Cached Exchange mode? You might also want to look at creating a new Outlook Profile (Control Panel > Mail > Profiles).