Options

MCSE 2000 or 2003 (Part 2)

quickpotquickpot Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Dear fellow ITs,

I read the topic below on what MCSE to pursue, 2000 or 2003. It seems that many employers still use Windows 2000 platforms so it would be ideal to get this first and then upgrade to 2003 by taking 2 more exams. HOWEVER, my emphasis will be on Security. I perused through the Microsoft website and found out that there is no easier way to upgrade the Security portion for Windows 2003 except to take their whole curriculum for Security again. So with this said... should I still go with 2000 and then move up to 2003 with extra extra money forked over? I am not planning to take any classes but paying for these tests are just damn expensive.

Thanks so much in advance for your feedbacks!

Comments

• Options
    quickpotquickpot Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I decided to pursue 2000 first even though it will take extra exams for me to upgrade the Security portion. I figure more experience is the better. Besides, I won't be able to purchase the Windows 2003 server anytime soon and since I already have Windows 2000 Server at home, might as well start studying it.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The way I look at it - the 2 security exams are extra and needed either way.

MSCE W2K = 7 exams

Add 2 exams for Security

add 2 exams to upgrade to 2003

= 11 in total

MCSE 2003 = 7 exams

add 2 exams for Security

= 9 in total

Currently I would go the W2K track and then upgrade to 03 as it is rolled out in your area. Since we are still installing W2K Server here and staying away from 03 that is basically my track. Then again I need Linux and Netware knowledge so maybe by the time I get back to MS stuff I will be straight on to 03 ... who knows
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007