(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
- 70-270 -

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I'll be building a PEMU box next week too. Any issues so far or does it do what it says on the tin?
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    it runs like a charm, no issues noticed what so ever.
    What one man can do another can do.

(")_(")domination.

- 70-270 -
  • Options
    Great, many thanks for the quick reply :D
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    charlottebanditocharlottebandito Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like you can set up multiple PIX boxes through VMware, right?
    Working on CCNA & going for CCSP/CCNP
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Only problem I have found with Pemu on Windows is no Idle PC like Dynamips so the CPU peggs at 100% now lucky Im running on a Dual core, so it runs one to 100% and the other idles, but on my other PC it lags.

Other than that its a great program that Im running in conjuction with Dynamips, where was all this years ago when I was spending all my hard earned cash on router switches and pix's icon_twisted.gif
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Well loaded up my first instance on Saturday but didn't have time to touch it since, I went as far as getting the virtual box up and running but haven't bridged it with the host operating system yet. Need to focus on tomorrow's 70-299 exam, but this is where my mind has been :). There was only one real hurdle and that was getting the image unzipped. Maybe it's just me but when I was reading the instructions I took 'Unzip the image' as just unzipping it from whatever archive you had it in...doh...in case anyone else makes the same mistake you must actually unzip it from it;s 7xx-xx.bin format to the uncompressed (non .bin) version. Neither Winrar or 7-zip would work for me but UnZip 5.51 did the trick.
    It did push the CPU usage to 100% but being inside a VMware image set to single CPU-core usage helped. I remember reading something a few days ago about a Windows utility to set throttle per-process CPU time (kinda like on Linux) and that it could be used with PEMU so I'll do some more hunting after tomorrow's exam.
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is very interesting because my CPU only goes up to 50/60%..
    What one man can do another can do.

(")_(")domination.

- 70-270 -
  • Options
    If you've dual-core it'll hover at 50% since it doesn't seem to be multi-threaded.
  • Options
    wildfire wrote:
    Only problem I have found with Pemu on Windows is no Idle PC like Dynamips so the CPU peggs at 100% now lucky Im running on a Dual core, so it runs one to 100% and the other idles, but on my other PC it lags.

Other than that its a great program that Im running in conjuction with Dynamips, where was all this years ago when I was spending all my hard earned cash on router switches and pix's icon_twisted.gif

Found the solution. http://mion.faireal.net/BES/ . It's a simple enough program, no installation just unzip to a folder and run the main executable, choose TARGET select PEMU.EXE and then set the limit. The limit-setting bar is actually how much you will subtract from the process (whereas I presumed at first it allowed me to set how much it would use), so just subtract your desired CPU limit for the process from 100 and you're good to go...may be obvious but then again knowing in advance will save you all of about 10 second of your life (which you can dedicate to me ;) ). I only got my first PEMU instance fully operational this afternoon but there seems to be no impact on general performance from the limit - I've been running various show commands and the ASDM for a few minutes then a Show CPU Usage and it was at 3% on the PIX box, with a BES imposed limit of 25% total CPU. I still have to see how it will perform 'live' when I get some more boxes talking to it.

Anyway, should help.