IE not display certain site.......

elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
Ok guys here's the scenario.

A friend of mine contacted me saying that they are having problems with IE, in that they can only browse certain websites.

they have a small active directory domain prob arnd 20 pc recently setup two weeks ago.

any idea as to what could cause this?

thx much
stonecold26.jpg

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a proxy was set up...

It would be really hard for us to troubleshoot this without knowing more about the problem/environment. It could be a number of different things.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    proxy or firewall
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    JDMurray wrote:
    ...or a HOSTS file.
    host file?

well i'll be taking a look at their setup later.

i'll inform you guys after.....
    stonecold26.jpg
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There could also be some spyware on the computer causing problems with IE as well.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    elover_jm wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    ...or a HOSTS file.
    host file?
    On a Windows system, the file %WINDOWSSYSDIR%\drivers\etc\hosts file is used to redirect network communication to specific IP addresses. This file can be used to prevent a Windows system from communicating with specific network hosts. The HOSTS file preceded DNS.

Hosts file
    Podcast about the HOSTS file
    ok guys.....tested it with firefox worked well..... so concluded IE was the problem hence i plan to just upgrade it to IE7..........

another prob i encountered was sharing the printer to other client. Whenever i attempt to connect to the shared printer it throws an error message: "Windows unable to connect to Print Server etc". I was able to browse and locate the shared printer, but just was not able to connect to it.

any suggestions or alternative?
    stonecold26.jpg
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    elover_jm wrote:
    ok guys.....tested it with firefox worked well..... so concluded IE was the problem hence i plan to just upgrade it to IE7..........

another prob i encountered was sharing the printer to other client. Whenever i attempt to connect to the shared printer it throws an error message: "Windows unable to connect to Print Server etc". I was able to browse and locate the shared printer, but just was not able to connect to it.

any suggestions or alternative?

elover_jm,

Does the user account that was logged in have "print" permissions to the printer?
    Yes they do.

I think it's more a problem connecting to the print server.......

they said it was working up to last friday, but got knocked off early yesterday (Monday).

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
    stonecold26.jpg
  • mrLeninmrLenin Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Reinstall OS. That shoul help for sure.
    mrLenin wrote:
    Reinstall OS. That shoul help for sure.

icon_lol.gif are u crazy

Anyway i found a way to connect to the share printer by Adding to it locally :D .....was a lovely idea and it worked.

thx fellas
    stonecold26.jpg
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Im not sure if you have solved the IE problem but a while ago we had an admin setup some GPOs incorectly that restricted IE thus not allowing access to HTTPS sites.

Just a random thought... icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools