Options

Cannot install Service Pack2 on Windows Server 2003 SBS

ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have tried several times to install SP2 on a W2K3 SBS box. Each time it goes through the prep until I get a cannot install catalog files error.

I went to the MS KB site and tried all of their suggestions to deal with this problem but I still get the failed to install catalog files error. Has anyone run across this and found something else that might work to get this darn thing to install? I have been doing this manually. I assume that trying it via the MS Update site will of course yield the same result.

Also currently there is Exchange server sp1 on there. Are there any issues with the sp2 install for this on SBS?

Thanks for your input! icon_wink.gif
I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Comments

• Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    is there enough free space on your C: partition?
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    Yes, it successfully goes through all the preinstall stuff right up to backing up the registry and then I get that error..I think it needs about 500MB doesn't it?

I have 13GB free space on the C: drive!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try going to the command prompt and typing: setreg 10 FALSE
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is this a fresh install of SBS?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ok will try that thanks! No, it is not a fresh install in fact it is the old non R2 version. It has been running on this box since 2005....

royal, it said set reg is not a recognized as internal or external command

MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would try to clean the server up some then try to install it again.

Registry cleaner
    Page defrag
    Service Packs/Updates
    Multiple virus platform scanning
    Adaware scanning

Because it is small business server, then it probably is in a small business... They sometimes tend to surf the web and different things on their servers.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Thanks Mishra you might have a point there, although I suspect the problem might be deeper than that like certificate related or the like....

I just looked at the Security Catalog at:%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\NT5INF.CAT

I looked at the certificate and it said valid from Friday October 18, 2002 through December 18, 2003.

Am I on the right track here or any other ideas?

Well, the setreg command I was getting was from:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281458

The url also discusses nt5inf.cat. I would give this support doc a look.
  • Options
    Thanks but that is the support doc I was referring to also. I cannot get the setreg to execute, it cannot find it anywhere..

sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITdude wrote:
    Thanks but that is the support doc I was referring to also. I cannot get the setreg to execute, it cannot find it anywhere..

Regarding that KB article:
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    You appear to be correct Mark about it not being supported. I did read some other website and they said the setreg as well as the nt5inf.cat fix should still apply for Server 2003 so I figured it would be worth a shot. From seeing ITdude's comments though, it appears that the setreg apparently isn't supported in Server 2003.
  • Options
    Yup! I saw that too and was starting to think that it wasn't supported in 2003. However, when I did a search about this problem Microsoft pointed me to that article.

Go figure! icon_wink.gif Now what?

Perhaps try a sfc /scannow. I've also heard a repair install will fix the issue. This would mean you would have to do some repatching, but apparently, people have had luck going this route and then being able to install the service pack afterwards. I'll try to think of some other things you can do, however.
  • Options
    Thanks appreciate that! I really would like to update that darn SBS box but MS sure isn't making it easy for me! icon_wink.gif

Thanks royal - I have a troublesome 2003 server as well that I have been having fits trying to install SP2. I'll give the sfc a try if you say it has worked for others.
  • Options
    I tried sfc remotely but it told me that I needed to be an Admin and using the console. I was using the Administrator account at the time!

I still have feeling this is a security/certificate issue but not sure where to go yet from here...I hope that the Exchange Server upgrade is more straightforward... icon_wink.gif

ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you using remote desktop to access the server? did you use the /console switch?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Yes, using RDP and thought I used the switch but might have goofed in typing. My phone rang at the time and I got distracted.

I will try it again later when I can access the server...Thanks

No luck so far....Any more ideas?

Anyone icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_wink.gif

tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    ITdude wrote:
    Anyone icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_wink.gif

ITdude,

Has the SBS 2003 server been registered and/or activated with Microsoft?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITdude wrote:
    I tried sfc remotely but it told me that I needed to be an Admin and using the console. I was using the Administrator account at the time!

I still have feeling this is a security/certificate issue but not sure where to go yet from here...I hope that the Exchange Server upgrade is more straightforward... icon_wink.gif
    If you don't have physical access, try running RDP in console mode.

Start > Run > mstsc /console

• Options
    I just figured out why mine wouldn't work. I had to have the Distributed Coordinator Service running. It was disabled on this particular server.

Might be worth checking on yours.
  • Options
    Okay, I will try both of your suggestions and report back...Thanks icon_wink.gif

Tried both and nether helped. Still fails the installation right after backing up the registry....beats me.. icon_confused.gif:

Have you seen this article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Lots of things to try we haven't discussed here yet. Not sure if you saw it.
  • Options
    Yes, I have and tried most if not all with no success....Really great that you cannot even update your server because of something granular! icon_cry.gificon_confused.gif:

Still have not had any success with this. Anyone have any possible leads other the going to the source?

Thanks icon_wink.gif