Options

Cannot install Service Pack2 on Windows Server 2003 SBS

2»

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found some more suggestions here, a couple were already mentioned:
    http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2007/03/problems-installing-windows-server-2003-sp2-using-automatic-updates.htm

One interesting one is to assign this right:
    administrative tools –> local security settings –> local policies –> user rights assignments –> act as part of the operating system = (set it to) localserver\administrators

Sounds like a hack, but it may work.

Also, did you empty the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution contents and all those other suggestions on the previous link? Sounds like you did, but just double checking.

Have you downloaded a fresh Network Install version of the SP2 file? If you drag the file into a cmd prompt and then add a /? you can see how to enable logging. It may also give you a more verbose install method that may provide a clue as to the real problem.

I hate it when the "double click, next, yes, okay, finish" method doesn't work! icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, you are right about that!

I have tried the various things mentioned it would be interesting to try to enable logging and see if it says anything besides a generic response.

Thanks once again. Hopefully, I can get this resolved before SP3 is released! icon_wink.gif

Thanks!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Here is some of the output friom the log file during the last attempt a while back:

PFE2: PFE1 failed.
    460.250: PFE2: Not avoiding Per File Exceptions.
    460.297: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\Tmp.2.scw.cat with error 0x57
    460.297: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from C:\WINDOWS\Tmp.2.scw.cat with error 0x80092004
    460.781: InstallSingleCatalogFile: MyInstallCatalog failed for Tmp.2.scw.cat; error=0xfffffbfe.
    460.781: DoInstallation:MyInstallCatalogFiles failed:STR_CATALOG_INSTALL_FAILED
    463.922: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine value, error 0x2
    463.922: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery.
    470.891: DeRegistering the Uninstall Program -> Windows Server 2003 Service Pack, 0
    470.891: Failed to install catalog files.
    474.641: Message displayed to the user: Failed to install catalog files.
    474.641: User Input: OK
    474.641: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf01e
    474.641: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

Interesting because I thought I already dealt with these files! icon_confused.gif:
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Interesting. I just tried installing again and now I am getting a different error. Right after it is done extracting the files it gives me an system cannot find the file specified error. I cannot even get into setup as before....

Very strange. Life should not be this difficult. icon_confused.gif:

gcarter40gcarter40 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey. I am having the same problem. I tried everything the Microsoft Articles and nothing seems to works. Wanted to know, if you ever resolved your problem and what did you do?

Thanks
  • Options
    No, and now the Windows update keeps trying to download and install it and continually fails. Short of calling MS for a fee of course, I am not sure what to do to upgrade this thing.

Seems like it should not be this much of a hassle! I have wasted so much time on this.... icon_wink.gif

Please let me know if you have had any success, too.

RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmmm - interesting I have installed SP2 on 20 or so 2003 servers with no issues. You have SP2 in the root of C drive?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    hmmmm - interesting I have installed SP2 on 20 or so 2003 servers with no issues. You have SP2 in the root of C drive?

SBS servers?
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Might be of some help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939421

A link from the KB above
    SP2 May Fail to Install If a Large Number of Updates Are Installed
    http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2007/06/22/sp2-may-fail-to-install-if-a-large-number-of-updates-are-installed.aspx
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you or another Admin perhaps blocked SP2 upgrade previously? Might check the Registry for this value to see it is there.

Link to Microsoft's SP2 block tool with description of what it does
  • Options
    Thanks all for reopening this topic...Yes it is 2003 SBS with SP1. NO one has ever blocked SP installs. I have looked over and tried the stuff in the MS KB but still cannot find catalogue files.

SP2 is in the root of the C: drive

wanboy67 this second link you sent appears to be the problem we are having. I have tried renaming the catroot file etc before but not in conjunction with the crypto services at the same time. I will give that a shot too and report back.

This was a pre SP1 regular SBS 2003 (NOT R2) install. It was upgraded to SP1 with no problems. I have also done several 2003 std server upgrades with no problems either on other boxes.

Thanks guys for all the input! icon_wink.gif

Okay, so I tried the suggested batch file shown here:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2007/06/22/sp2-may-fail-to-install-if-a-large-number-of-updates-are-installed.aspx

However it still fails with the error message about unable to verify the validity of file update.inf. Make sure cryptographic services are running. They ARE running.

So now I have a new improved problem! icon_confused.gif: icon_wink.gif Any more ideas?

Update.inf is in the Update directory within the Service Pack 2 executable.

Did you restart the Server after moving the catalog files? Open Task Manager and kill explorer.exe and run explorer.exe again if you can't restart the server without a lot of hassle from users.

Does the PATH variable in the Environment variables include %SystemRoot% and %SystemRoot%\System32 ?

Have you tried reinstalling Service Pack 1?

Have you Check Disk'd the drive? CHKDSK C: /F /R

Have you tried a hammer? :P
  • Options
    Well thanks for the added info wanboy67. thought about trying to reinstall the SP1 especially since I did not do that one but did not want to open up another can of worms...

I will look at what you mentioned but if I recall everything is fine. Yes, at this point a hammer might be a good idea!

I am really beginning to get tweaked by Microsoft. For the amount of time wasted trying to upgrade their software, they could have just purchased a new SBS 2003 R2 with SP2 and really upgraded! Well, maybe not. icon_wink.gif

Okay, rant is over now. :)

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure it's installing the files to the correct place. Are you installing service pack 2 for Server 2003 or exchange? I'm assuming Server2003.

You could try upgrading exchange to SP2 first?

I would recommend going here: http://tinyurl.com/2d3qcw
    The release notes for SP2(2003) should tell you what you need to check. It sounds like SP2 sees something it doesn't like on your system.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    Hi,

I already upgraded to Exchange sp2 with no issues. This is a 2003 SBS Box. I did notice something interesting though, when it is extracting the service pack, I notice that it is doing it on the D: drive, is it possible that there might be a path issue causing this?

Thanks icon_confused.gif:

I usually have it on a USB HD with it already extracted and maually run the Update.exe from the update directory (Winzip will extract it) Saves you having to extract it each time you have to install it on a server. Service Packs usually extract to the drive with the most free space.
  • Options
    ITdude wrote:
    Hi,

I already upgraded to Exchange sp2 with no issues. This is a 2003 SBS Box. I did notice something interesting though, when it is extracting the service pack, I notice that it is doing it on the D: drive, is it possible that there might be a path issue causing this?

Thanks icon_confused.gif:

I believe it extracts it to the root of the drive with the most free space.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^crap, didn't notice this topic had a second page.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    okay that explains why it is extracting to D: drive, However, the extraction goes fine and after agreeing to the license it craps out....

maybe I should just wait till sp3! Now, I know why people go to Linux!! :)icon_wink.gif

RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    RussS wrote:

SBS servers?

Mostly - plus a bunch of 2003 standard server.

Having rethought the issue of wantijng to install in D Drive - I tihnk that may be bacause with SBS you routinely direct certain programs to D drive.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    yes, you are probably correct on that one....... icon_wink.gif