Options

What certification has opened you doors?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    This summer i'm going to:
    Get my CCNA
    Hopefully MCP for XP
    And start on a Server 2003 exam
    Study for A+ (its a required class for school - an a+ class, so i have no choice).

the MCP won't be too ahrd since i'm fairly familiar and have taken a class on it- i'll be going through an MS press book for that as well as a sever 2003 book.

I'm hoping that the combination of A+, CCNA, the server exam, and MCP will be a good start to hopefully land me a IT job - i'm ready to leave Wal-Mart!
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCSE for me. Not only has it got me to the interview for jobs I wouldn't even be considered for before it has also helped me gain certain work withing the company I am working for as clients demand certified people.

Comes with a nice pay too. icon_wink.gif

Some people are lucky and network themselves a job or are given opportunities despite their lack of credentials. I have never got a job through networking and I have never been without a job since starting in IT. Whilst certs alone have no got me my opportunities (theres a hell of a lot more to it than that) they have certainly made opportunities available that would not be there otherwise.
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Completed my MCSE back in 2002 and applied for a couple jobs and did not hear anything back, once I completed my CCNA I was offered a job 15 minutes after the interview while I was driving back home.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Theres no question that I wouldn't have my current job without my CCNA. It was WELL worth my time and money...I love my job!
  • Options
    Poison ReversePoison Reverse Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA has opened a lot of doors for me
    I'm a CCVP, so whatchya sayin'?

[quote:e64f0204e0="damsel_in_tha_net"]Oh shoot! Is that Angel Eyes? :shock:.[/quote]
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After starting my certification I got interviewed for a 6 Figure Salary with Microsoft as a PFE, I'm sure people who got interviewed with them knows what I mean. The people that did my 1st and 2nd interview was very impressed and told me they like the way I answer each technical question they bombard me with, cause I answer without hesitation, giving them scud missile back.

Unfortunately I was just on my 3rd exam, and is greatly missing a lot of AD technogy in my arsenals, the good thing is they told me they will revisit me again after 6 months.

This was just a start I had a lot of other very good potential opportunity knocking at my door, thanks to TE.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    None of my IT certifications were mentioned in any job interview that I've had or after I've been hired, so it's difficult to say if any were a factor in my getting any job. I don't think having IT certifications has hurt me in getting a job or interview, but I can't be sure.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only jobs I could land with my A+/N+ were contract jobs. The cert that I feel opened up the most doors for me was the MCSA. I feel like better companies as far as size and environment started to pay attention. Higher paying jobs have started paying attention to me since I received my CCNA and MCSE.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I had my A+/N+ when I got my first job but I really think luck is what got me the actual interview. I wasn't getting any good hits from any of the job sites because I didn't have experience and then all of a sudden when i went on CL and asked for a job my manager emailed me back and the rest is history.
  • Options
    c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    The CCNA allowed me to keep my job. If I hadn't gotten it by the end of this month, I would have been fired.
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A degree and Network+ probably helped me get my first IT job. Degree more than anything. The job required a degree but didn't care too much about certs.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Linux+ helped me get my first IT job as an IT Support Technician. The job required A+ certification and 1-2 years experience although I don't think the A+ mattered as much for that position as the IT Manager seemed rather interested in the Linux+.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I received my CCNA, Security+, and MCSE while working a job I obtained from having an MCSA. I don't know what my potential is now. My degree definitely opened some doors, too. My first IT job ever was a field engineering position. I obtained that job with an associates and A+
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    CCNP got my foot in the door with zero enterprise-level networking experience.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was lucky to get in without a certificate. I went to a high school that focused on certain careers including Computer Networking. At the time I didn't even know what that was but I was always interested in computers. We were taught A+ and CCNA material and in order to graduate we had to do an internship. Which they helped you find and get into, this helped out ALOTTT. The current job I have now I obtained with an associates degree and 3 years experience. Since I've worked for this company I pushed myself to obtain my A+ and Network+ (which I have now) and now I'm shooting for MCSE. Will see what happens from there I guess!
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    impelse wrote:
    It is a fact, certification is better to be hire.

My main question is: What certification has helped you to open doors?

I know it is depend what kind of job you are looking for, your exp. etc.

But I want to know what kind of them you feel that helped you to obtain a job.

Raul

Well, I've had my CCNA for six months now (in addition to Security+), and on a scale from 1 to 100 - with 100 being best - my certs have benefitted me, say, at a 5 or so. Even with my college degree, they're all just pieces of paper without experience.

I think I would have benefitted far more by working for free or an internship for a while, THEN go and get some certs to go with them.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1st job - student worker at the schools helpdesk - Couple of CS classes and knowing a few people that worked at the helpdesk

2nd job - prior experience and some classes

3rd job - exeperiene and the MCSE with the Exchange elective
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    The MCSE help me land my first full time gig, which was with Microsoft as an Exchange support engineer. The MCSE has also been mentioned outright as a major reason why I was hired for every job since.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My A+ got me a job at Fry's Electronics fixing computers. Soon after it also helped me to get a Helpdesk tier II position.
  • Options
    AlmightyAlmighty Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can say that I have run into every single problem that has been listed in this thread.

First... I live in no where North Carolina so the IT field isn't very large because there isn't a huge demand for it.

Secondly.. I know a good amount of people in high positions in their respective fields who I have talk ed to about work. They normally say my lack of experience is what's hurting me.

Third... I do not have a degree but have a couple certs. Not really enough for an area that only needs high level workers.

My plan is to finish my security+ and then move on to MCSE. Then spam my resume until someone feels like giving me a chance.
    No one of consequence
  • Options
    MikeInMoseleyMikeInMoseley Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think the CompTIA Certs are known very well in the UK.