The "Matt George" guide to Cisco IOS

mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
The "Matt George" guide to Cisco IOS
Written by: Matthew George
E-mail: rhgeorge@bellsouth.net
Date: July 11, 2007

Well Guys I've finally uploaded the PDF version of this Guide, Feel free to download and
provide ideals and suggestiongs. Note you need Adobe Reader 7.0 to view this file

icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.lextrain.com/documents/mggios.pdf

Well I'm sure I'll be awake countless nights writing this guide but who knows maybe I'll become famous geek or something... Any who, hope you guys enjoy.

I will try to update this guide monthly adding sections here and there so please bare with me :D

This guide will explain the basic Cisco IOS commands as well as an in depth tutorial for Cisco IOS features and the Cisco infrastructure.

Please note that I have wrote this myself for the techexams.net community. Distrubuting this information with out the express permission not be tolerated.

Information provided within this tutorial is registered trademarks of their respective owners. This material is not sponsored, endorsed nor affiliated by Cisco Systems Inc.

UPDATE: I have removed the thead version of this guide as I've already had to get parts of this guide removed by request on a different tech forums site. So from now all you will be required to use Adobe Reader 8.0 or greater to read this guide.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comments

• CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
    What is "show version"?

icon_confused.gif
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will get to this in due time... bare with me icon_lol.gif
  • CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
    No bare with you...hehe

How is life teaching Cisco? That would be lots of fun 4 me.

I had some really bad Cisco instructors at my CCNA academy 7 years ago which made me
    decide to take matters into my own hands...
    Its hard to get qualified instructors to teach Cisco because it actually take work to be good at.
    You sound like you know your stuff so I'm happy 4 u and your students!

Good luck :)
    -Ciscopimpenator
    I definately appreciate the compliments ^_^ I just enjoy teaching and computers/communications
    is just a hobby that I teach so >.< I guess you can do the binary math there...
    Wow 1.2 was really starting to make me question rather or not this would be worth writing lol..

Any who, you can not find any complete detailed analysis of the Cisco IOS bootstrap online at
    all (or so I've tried to google) so I guess I'm happy to say that this is the first complete bootstrap
    explanation avaliable :D

It may not be perfect, but I gave it the swish and flick of my harry potter magical wand... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So you will explain the output of basic IOS commands in other words?
  • lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    nice nice, this should be a sticky, or be in the techlabs
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Synchronous means data is transfered bidirectional at the same bandwidth
    Asynchronous means that the bandwidth is different up/down such as your
    standard aDSL connection 1.5Mbps down/256Kbps up.

Sychronous means clocked. Data tranferred bidirectionally at the same bandwidth is "symmetric."
    Asynchronous means not clocked. Bandwidth that is different up/down such as an aDSL connection is "asymmetric."
    Thanks for pointing that out. Its been updated. I told ya their would be mistakes here and there.

I was up most of the night and was pretty tired when i wrote the last parts of 1.2.

If any one else notices any thing feel free to point it out. I'm about to start on 1.3 in a few hours
  • DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good stuff! Keep it up.
    cant wait to view 1.3
    Sorry guys, I've been quite busy here lately and have not had time to finish my work here.
    I will start writing 1.4 As soon as I get some spare time. In the mean time feel free to post
    any ideals, comments or suggestions you feel I should add to this guide.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I love it, absolutely helpful in every respect, thanks. Please can Webmaster or Mike sticky this topic.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As we see we are on a Cisco 2620 Series router with a MPC860 Processor.
    We have 61440K Memory avaliable, 4096k Used.

The numbers indicate how much is available for code space (61440K) and I/O mem (4096K) aka packet buffers

Nice work BTW.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    dtlokee wrote:
    As we see we are on a Cisco 2620 Series router with a MPC860 Processor.
    We have 61440K Memory avaliable, 4096k Used.

The numbers indicate how much is available for code space (61440K) and I/O mem (4096K) aka packet buffers

Nice work BTW.

Thanks for pointing that out, thats what i had in mind when i wrote it but apparently i didnt make
    it simple enough for people to understand. I will change that. Thanks

One of my bigger goals is to remove the old IOS Versions and Feature Set Information Thread
    and combine it into this one, so that much of the information can be found in the same spot.
    So therefore 1.5 will be a continuation of 1.4; covering the same content as the old thread but
    it will be updated. So I still have quite a bit of work to do to this thread icon_eek.gif

The IOS Versions and Feature Set Information Thread can be found here for the time being;
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19766
  • TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Good IOS introduction, easy to follow
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    The IOS Versions and Feature Set Information Thread can be found here for the time being;
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19766
    I think that thread is more "techtip" (and a good FAQ link in the Lab section) and this thread is more "Chapter 1 of your ICND book" :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I appreciate all the comments. Yeah, this has turned out to be quite a writing experince for me.
    Since I'm only 22 and in pursuit of my CCIE and I feel good knowing that what I write here
    will help many new comers to the Cisco world.

Everything I'm writing here has come stirctly from memory. I have not even picked up a book
    So therefore it might be some mistakes here and there and maybe some of it is not as clear
    as I intended for it to be, but as I said I'm open to suggestions and comments.

As of right now I'm working on 1.4 & 1.5 and I hope to have it on here before the day is over.
    Well I posted 1.4 yesterday so feel free to look. Hopefully I will be able to post 1.5 which will
    be a VERY long one. Also i have a RTF format of this guide if any one wants it. Thats how I've
    been writing it at first, then pasting it on here. So if any one wants the nice lookin RTF version
    of this guide feel free to message me. Enjoy
    Hi Matt,

I dunno if it would be possible but could you make a .pdf out of it? There is a free open source pdf creator here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

That is if you dont have access to adobe writer. It would be fantastico if you could but if you are busy I understand and ill just grab an rtf from you :D

A PDF of each version would be very appealing!

Cheers and great work.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Actually i like your ideal pash, I can secure it with pdf. I will do that when I can
    Btw matt i think tera term pro 313 is a respectable freeware terminal emulation/telnet client. I understand the reasoning of sticking with hyperterminal for the guide but I think mentioning free alternatives is good practice.

Cheers,
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i use teraterm. no issues yet.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Yeh its great, light package and easy to use.
    After reading through it thourougly this time round I have to say Im even more impressed than when I skimmed it the first time. I actually missed the part where you explain a very simplistic yet crucial naming convention of network devices and it reminded me of what I did in my first week at work this year....."hostname switch41" to 55. icon_redface.gif It was sooooo messy and luckily before my line manager noticed, I went back in and changed them to more appropriate and more standardized network names on our customers network.....something which I think is crucial learning....real nice work.

One more little thing I would consider a good addition. Mentioning the changing of terminal settings on equipment. All too often some bored techy will change the terminal settings on his/her equipment just to keep people on their toes....or p*** them off.

Cheers,
  • eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi mgeorge27,

Just to say, i had 3 2620 running with 64MB DRAM and 32MB FLASH and they have Bootstrap Version 12.2(8r) Cisco (p/n MEM2620-32FSBoot=), i'm not 100% sure but i think (99%) this is the minimum to upgrade to 32MB DRAM in the 2620 and 2621 serie routers.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gif
    I will be sure to add that during the next update. Life kinda has me hanging atm with a bunch of
    on the side contract positions and but next update i will revise that in 1.1. Thanks
    nice,

how many chapter are you posting.
    Well guys I've finally gotten around to posting 1.5. Forgive me for taking so long.
    I've been so busy here lately and have not had time to even do somthing I enjoy doing.

Feel free to leave comments or suggestions. Enjoy
  • manicmanic Inactive Imported Users Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pfffffffffffft
    i supose its my fault you can't finish, seeing on how my rack is down

bowing.gif

ITS ALIVE!!!!! A STICK OF FLASH DIED!
    "What do you want from me?" -Pink Floyd
This discussion has been closed.