The "Matt George" guide to Cisco IOS

13»

Comments

• mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just finished reading the guide.

I'll start off from the beginning;;

I read the entire thread here before reading the guide, and noticed that you mentioned "I'm only 21!" several times just in this thread. Okay, that's rather pretentious and kind of bothers me but I suppose you're proud, so thats good. Then I read the page long About Me where you're basically gloating about things once again and I had to say something.

Just make the about me a bit more professional, IMO. It's great to be proud of something, but putting it in peoples faces isn't the best course of action.

I'm 22, and I know 3 CCIE's, Americans, in America, under 25 -- well, they might be over 25 now, but they received theirs at 22-23. Also a JCIE too. Kids are getting their CCNA's in high school nowadays.

Anyway, on to my editorial recommendations;;

Page 7/8; There is the diagram at the very bottom with the processor information, and your breakdown is on the NEXT page. I'd recommend moving this image down to the page the details are on.. There is actually a good 70% of the page free. It'd be easier to read if these were together.

Also make sure you do a contributions section, while this isn't a commercial guide, it's still respectful to recognize the people who have helped to provide additional content.

Also, you might want to explain what WIC's are since you go so in depth with the IOS naming, and just toss out the "You'll need xyz IOS with this WIC to do xDSL." I'd imagine most people reading this would go....WIC? Candle? I'd also think a good section would be one on the various router/switches and features. As a newbie one fo the most confusing things to me was the various WICs and figuring out which router/swtiches to use out of the 30k you find googling.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mrj wrote:
    I just finished reading the guide.

I'll start off from the beginning;;

I read the entire thread here before reading the guide, and noticed that you mentioned "I'm only 21!" several times just in this thread. Okay, that's rather pretentious and kind of bothers me but I suppose you're proud, so thats good. Then I read the page long About Me where you're basically gloating about things once again and I had to say something.

Just make the about me a bit more professional, IMO. It's great to be proud of something, but putting it in peoples faces isn't the best course of action.

I'm 22, and I know 3 CCIE's, Americans, in America, under 25 -- well, they might be over 25 now, but they received theirs at 22-23. Also a JCIE too. Kids are getting their CCNA's in high school nowadays.

Anyway, on to my editorial recommendations;;

Page 7/8; There is the diagram at the very bottom with the processor information, and your breakdown is on the NEXT page. I'd recommend moving this image down to the page the details are on.. There is actually a good 70% of the page free. It'd be easier to read if these were together.

Also make sure you do a contributions section, while this isn't a commercial guide, it's still respectful to recognize the people who have helped to provide additional content.

Also, you might want to explain what WIC's are since you go so in depth with the IOS naming, and just toss out the "You'll need xyz IOS with this WIC to do xDSL." I'd imagine most people reading this would go....WIC? Candle? I'd also think a good section would be one on the various router/switches and features. As a newbie one fo the most confusing things to me was the various WICs and figuring out which router/swtiches to use out of the 30k you find googling.

Well first off I am proud of my age and where I am at in life, not many can say they are in my shoes, being raised around technology, it has became my 2nd language. I am however disappointed in the field because many current employers do not recognize the potential of the comming generation.

This guide was not meant to be a commercial guide, it started as a simple post and grew into several pages of helpful information. Unfortunately, this information was getting copied word by word onto other forums and other people claiming the work as their own, I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted.

When I retire my work on this guide, all materials and complete ownership will be given to johan.

I am sure along your pursuit of your CCNA, you will learn what a WIC is, as well as the new 802 track clearly goes in depth of new integrated service routers, wireless, ipv6 and I beleive touches on IPv6 routing protocol technologies.

I wrote this guide with the techexams community in mind. The material in this guide is simple material that I teach in my courses. While most of it is not required material to know for the CCNA, it is helpful in the field.

With that being said, the credit goes to techexams.net community.

But now that you've mentioned, my next section can be on general router descriptions, functions and limitations.

So with that in mind, section 1.8 will discuss 2500, 2600, and 3600 series routers in detail. I may touch up with some switching technologies as well. I will have to dig out an old document I made for one of my previous courses discussing what 2500 series routers had what ports. This is very helpful.

As for the empty space between sections, I do this to seperate each section and start with a clean page for the comming section. You are the first person to complain about this, ill take this into consideration.

Also for the record, this guide reached 10,000 views according to freewebs :)

Also I will revise some other parts of the guide and add a few things that people have suggested, such as dtlokee's post, and a few others.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Unfortunately, this information was getting copied word by word onto other forums and other people claiming the work as their own, I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted.

I always thaught this forum was designed to share information rather than building egos.Seems like you need to work on other area's rather than focusing 100% on tech stuff.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    EdTheLad wrote:
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Unfortunately, this information was getting copied word by word onto other forums and other people claiming the work as their own, I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted.

I always thaught this forum was designed to share information rather than building egos.Seems like you need to work on other area's rather than focusing 100% on tech stuff.

As I said "I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted."

Is it such a bad ideal to direct traffic here?
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    EdTheLad wrote:
    mgeorge27 wrote:

As I said "I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted."

Is it such a bad ideal to direct traffic here?

I find it interesting that every 2-3 weeks you post somthing about the upcomming releases to the guide to bump this thread back up to the first page.

Who is driving traffic to who here? Techexams is driving the traffic to your guide, not the other way around, and you know this. You're trying to make a name for yourself and that' fine, but at the same time be honest about it.

BTW: the guide is not secure, it can easily be decrypted.

What one man can do another can undo
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gentlemen, we've had enough of unprofessional comments in this forum recently, let's not start another one. Matt is trying to help and has something worth sharing. We were all young once, so cut him a little slack on any ego you percieve coming through.

Carry on with courtesy please. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Gentlemen, we've had enough of unprofessional comments in this forum recently, let's not start another one. Matt is trying to help and has something worth sharing. We were all young once, so cut him a little slack on any ego you percieve coming through.

Carry on with courtesy please. icon_cool.gif

I agree with sprkymrk, this negative energy is unnecceary. I simply try to help by providing what I know freely to benifit everyone.

I am in the process of updating it with a new section that mrj would like to see, which has information about 2500, 2600 and 3600 series routers, wics, nms, aims, etc... Which will definately help in designing a lab. I hope to have this posted before the weekend is over.

Also for fake Cisco "chisco" section, I still would like to do this but no one has provided me enough detailed pictures and I thank those who have provided what they can, this is greatly appreciated.
    The update has been posted.

Please msg me if I got somthing wrong icon_lol.gif I tried to get it done in a hurry because I wont be able to work on it sunday. So if theirs a few errors I'll fix them next weekend. Enjoy icon_cool.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    dtlokee wrote:
    Who is driving traffic to who here? Techexams is driving the traffic to your guide, not the other way around, and you know this.
    As long as he remembers that when he becomes rich and famous. ;)

Matt and I pm-ed about this topic and his guide some time ago and I don't have any problems with how things are going right now. It doesn't exactly fit as the usual forum contents, so it is an exception to the rule, but I consider it a useful and original contribution for Cisco certification students in general. If he eventually wants to sign it over to us I'll be happy to put it online here, and it would remain in the same format (so not in a TechExams.net jacket for reasons I explained earlier in this topic).

I'm working on a solution to make it easier for members to upload 'their own original' material and share it through TechExams.net (which basically means we host it, not publish it), of which Matt's guide would be a good example, but also Paul's subnetting chart, and dtlokee's access lists practice lab.
    Much appreciated johan, thank you :D
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Likewise, and enjoy those download/view stats - definitely something that keeps me motivated.
    Well theirs a few mistakes i see i need to fix in the new section because i rushed it but i doubt ill be able to actually sit down and spend a few hours on it till next weekend. If any one notices any thing feel free to pm me.
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    Nice pic bro icon_eek.gif
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
    Well a few people have emailed me recently asking for this guide because they couldnt get
    to it from freewebs and then i found out my account got deleted icon_evil.gif

Any who, new link icon_lol.gif

I'm also open for revisions request(s) if any one wants to see somthing added to this.
    Well I've finally gotten around to adding a new section to this handy little guide.

The new section discusses the future of Cisco's IOS Software, the new licensing model
    and how the new Cisco IOS Images work.

Feel free to comment if you have questions or suggestions :D
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    May want to update the first post to reflect the date of the revision. I got the latest adobe and can read it just fine. :)

I'm going to look over it. Seems to be pretty detailed. It will make for a good read.

KG

Just a note so far while reading it. I think there was a minor mispelling on page 8(and 15), it says:
    "Cisco IOS/IBM briding software"

Maybe it's not a mispelling? icon_lol.gif I just assume it meant bridge. Never heard of briding and google doesn't know either.

Also on page 9 I see: "The EXEC banner is displayed after a user as authenticated in privileged mode."

(sorry for being a nerdy english teacher here)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The information is very detailed and honestly, reading about the boot information blew my mind. Though on page 10 while talking about hostnames you seem to jump into talking about EMI switches, access/distribution layer, layer 3 switches, etc

Seems a bit over the top for CCNA. So far it's good though. I'm learning some new things...I never knew about the "do" command or aliases. o_O

Oh, my english senses are tingling...page 13 I see: "To identify what type of router platform you are on when you are telneted into a you would use the..."

That doesn't sound right. Probably another correction needed there.

Also on page 14 you show an example which says "System bootstrap version 12.1(3r)T2." ...but just below that you state the above is "version 12.2(3r)T2." This may be another minor error.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    Ahhh yess!!! I'll change those when I can get to them :) Thanks for pointing those out.

I wrote alot of that guide in the middle of the night burning 15 cups a coffee.

The "do" command is probably my most used command. I do the hell out of
    the do command *laughs* you can also do aliases as well from a config modes
  • NSSANSSA Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "...become CCIE before I'm 25 so I can have bragging rights to say I'm the youngest CCIE in America..."

Source?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    NSSA wrote: »
    "...become CCIE before I'm 25 so I can have bragging rights to say I'm the youngest CCIE in America..."

Source?
    This is an ancient thread and somebody has already posted to say that there are CCIEs in American who got it before they were 25.
  • NSSANSSA Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    This is an ancient thread and somebody has already posted to say that there are CCIEs in American who got it before they were 25.

Hearsay doesn't count.

Allow me to repeat: source?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NSSA wrote: »
    Hearsay doesn't count.

Allow me to repeat: source?
    Brian McGahan was one of the youngest engineers in the world to obtain the CCIE, having achieved his first CCIE in Routing & Switching at the age of 20 in 2002. Brian has been teaching and developing CCIE training courses for over five years, and has assisted hundreds of engineers in obtaining their CCIE certification. When not teaching or developing new products Brian consults with large ISPs and enterprise customers in the midwest region of the United States.
    About Our CCIE Instructors

Edit: Tiersten, you can set it up to use "I'm feeling lucky" as well, so there's less chance for user error icon_lol.gif
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    About Our CCIE Instructors

Edit: Tiersten, you can set it up to use "I'm feeling lucky" as well, so there's less chance for user error icon_lol.gif
    Yeah. I tried the I'm feeling lucky but it didn't seem to work. You gave the link anyway :)
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing mgeorge :)
    Wow, who brought this thread back from the dead icon_rolleyes.gif
  • 78937893 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mgeorge wrote: »
    ..Well Guys I've finally uploaded the PDF version of this Guide, Feel free to download and
    provide ideals and suggestiongs. Note you need Adobe Reader 7.0 to view this file

icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.lextrain.com/documents/mggios.pdf

Hi guys! Great forum. Sorry if this is old thread but its stickied and I want this PDF on my kindle. Link is broke. And Googling mggios.pdf turns up spanish doc with musical notation in it.. probly not the right docicon_wink.gif

Anybody have a working link to mggios.pdf?
    Can we just throw it up on rapidshare or something?
This discussion has been closed.