Topic Closed Thanks 4 All Advice See U Cisco Forums!

win2k8win2k8 Posts: 262Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
************************This ticket has been started by win2k4**********************

Routing ticket to Cisco Forums for intrusive testing
Thanked cust for help
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


icon_wink.gif

win2k4

Comments

  • PashPash Posts: 1,601Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well im sure I wont be the last person to call you lucky, use the oppurtunity well.

    Personally for me, I couldnt step foot into a NOC before I have my CCNP, my own home lab completely exhausted from lab practice, 100's of diagrams/notes and even a year or so experience as a network engineer. Thats me though.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • SlowhandSlowhand MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2003/2012/2016, CCNA Routing & Switchi Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 5,163Mod Mod
    Pash wrote:
    Personally for me, I couldnt step foot into a NOC before I have my CCNP, my own home lab completely exhausted from lab practice, 100's of diagrams/notes and even a year or so experience as a network engineer. Thats me though.

    For what position, within a NOC, are you talking about? Currently, I work in a NOC, and only the Sr. Network Engineer is CCNP certified. The rest of us are either CCNA's or we're working on CCNA, along with doing the MCSE and LPIC paths, since we support our users' managed and co-located servers, along with our own internal domain. I'd say that CCNA-level experience is recommended when working in a place like this, so win2k4's gotten a lucky break in getting in without it. Good luck to you, win2k4, I hope you learn a lot.

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • PashPash Posts: 1,601Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Pash wrote:
    Personally for me, I couldnt step foot into a NOC before I have my CCNP, my own home lab completely exhausted from lab practice, 100's of diagrams/notes and even a year or so experience as a network engineer. Thats me though.

    For what position, within a NOC, are you talking about? Currently, I work in a NOC, and only the Sr. Network Engineer is CCNP certified. The rest of us are either CCNA's or we're working on CCNA, along with doing the MCSE and LPIC paths, since we support our users' managed and co-located servers, along with our own internal domain. I'd say that CCNA-level experience is recommended when working in a place like this, so win2k4's gotten a lucky break in getting in without it. Good luck to you, win2k4, I hope you learn a lot.

    I would be talking about a high level networking job within a NOC yes...probably for a communications or ISP giant. My reasoning is because id like to know a fair amount about infrastructure before diving in...thats me though :)

    I forgot to say goodluck win2k4, goodluck!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Posts: 4,884Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Best of luck to you.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • snadamsnadam Posts: 2,234Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow, that must have been a suprise icon_lol.gif


    I find in the working environment, you learn the fastest. Best of luck!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

    :study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • KasorKasor Posts: 912Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nobody know everything on the first day... Take note for anything that your co-worker showed you.

    Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • pbradishpbradish Posts: 44Member ■■□□□□□□□□
  • win2k8win2k8 Posts: 262Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    show i start studying CCNA right now to help me get more knowledge of what i'm doing or try to finish up my MCSA or another option is do the ITIL Foundation test, i dunno but i'm interested in this lol
  • malcyboodmalcybood Posts: 900Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    win2k4 wrote:
    show i start studying CCNA right now to help me get more knowledge of what i'm doing or try to finish up my MCSA or another option is do the ITIL Foundation test, i dunno but i'm interested in this lol

    ITIL Foundations is obtaibnable within a few weeks of self study I'd say. When I done it, we got 2 days of lectures then sat the exam on the 3rd day and I scored 33/40 (you need 26 to pass). Compared to Cisco or MS exams or even compTIA this is a scinch!

    If you're unfamiliar with ITIL check out this website http://www.itilfoundations.com down the left hand side it has a brief overview of the processes you will learn about to study for ITIL Foundations.

    A few other guys that have passed this have recommended this book as being all you'll need

    http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Service-Management-English-version/dp/9077212582/sr=11-1/qid=1170063461/ref=sr_11_1/104-5353398-5505529

    It is a lifetime certification too so you wont have to renew it, however they do revise the Framework every few years, what affect this has on you certs status I'm not quite sure but I shouldn't think it matters too much.

    If you got any specific questions feel free to ask icon_cool.gif

    Malc
  • bmaurobmauro Posts: 307Member
    How far along are you with your MCSA/MCSE?

    Your profile shows just 270 - I'm not sure if thats up-to-date or not. Just look at it this way - what will help you out the most at your current employment?

    If you still use Mircosoft and AD a lot in your everyday duties - then I say stick with the MCSE track. But if most of your tasks are centered around networking technologies then I would consider jumping tracks temporarily - at least head over to the CCNA forum and read what books to buy (Cisco Press :D )

    I just passed the ITIL Foundations last Friday - almost the exact same setup as malcybood. Two days of training - third day test. Unless this NOC is adopting ITIL "best practices" or is currently using - I wouldn't worry about ITIL.

    IMO switch over to what you would use most in day to day activities.

    Good luck.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Posts: 1,235Member
    ITIL is the first step in our industry becoming a true profession in it's own right by theoretically supplying end clients with a quality IT service for their business. It is becoming really big with the more outsourcing and remote management that is going on these days.

    The foundation level of this should be one cert everyone of us gets as a matter of course if only to say "Yes, I can work in IT "
    Kam.
Sign In or Register to comment.