Trivial lab setup question

pob579pob579 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,
after reading different suggestions about Lab setup I came to conclusion.
1. NO sims. (I am too technical :) )
2. As a newbie in Cisco world (but experienced in Netware and Microsoft MCPs and CNA) it is a right way for me to buy a tested Lab KIT. I would like to ask if the setup below is OK for quality CCNA preparation. NO plans for CCNP. I saw that 2500 is recomended like a terminal server mostly.
Don't need any luxury futures beside CCNA requirements.

Thanks,
Michael.

Tested and Guaranteed working!
Cisco 2501 8/8 Router
Cisco 2514 8/8 Router
Cisco 1912 Switch
Cisco Back to Back Cable
Three Power Cables
Dual Ethernet on the 2514 for Cable/DSL Labs
Console cable
Console cable adapter
Two Transceivers
30 Day Warranty!

Additional Items Include:
12.1.27 Router IOS on CD
9.00.07 Enterprise Switch IOS
TFTP Server & 8 other programs
50 Advanced Cisco Labs covering:
RIP, OSPF, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP
IP & IPX Routing
Queueing, Multicast, DLSW
Appletalk, IP Firewall, HSRP, NAT
300 Cisco CCNA review questions
List of all Cisco CCNA router commands
List of all Cisco CCNA switch commands

Comments

• jvaxjvax Member Posts: 117
    Stay away from 1900 switches. They're old and CCNA covers the 2950 series, but 2924 would do okay for a home lab setup.

For the 2500 routers, it's better to buy ones that have 16mb flash & 16mb ram (or upgrade if necessary) and use IOS 12.2 or later since CCNA is based on 12.2.

I know it may seem a lot more simple to buy a packaged lab kit, but beleive me, you will learn more if you choose to buy each piece apart.

The 50 Advanced Cisco Labs and 300 Cisco CCNA review questions may also appeal to you, but you can find a lot of study material online, although I recommend getting Sybex book or Cisco Press 2-book set.

Check out ebay and post questions that you may have concerning hardware, configs, prices etc...

Also, check out the CCNA FAQ on this forum to have a idea on what you should or should not buy.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin
  • pob579pob579 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really appreciate your answer. And will follow your suggestions. I read FAQ but as for a newbie
    it's really not easy to find a right solution. That's why I wanted to go with Lab ready setup.
    What "scares" me in buying piece by piece are interfaces, cables etc. It's too early for me to know all the details. I know well OSI and Subnetting after refreshing memory :).

Could you please provide a list of cables and interfaces that I absolutely need to connect routers for up to date CCNA preparation. Imagine such a silly question at CCNA exam :)

Thanks.
  • hooklowhooklow Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i concur, being in the same boat i will tell you that piece by piece is a better deal compared to most ebay "deals" and you don't invest in "fluff", if you think you need a 2511 you know exactly why and it becomes a lesson in it self (more hands-on), stay away from 1900, also think ahead will this be a ccxx lab in future
    pob579 wrote:
    I really appreciate your answer. And will follow your suggestions. I read FAQ but as for a newbie
    it's really not easy to find a right solution. That's why I wanted to go with Lab ready setup.
    What "scares" me in buying piece by piece are interfaces, cables etc. It's too early for me to know all the details. I know well OSI and Subnetting after refreshing memory :).

Could you please provide a list of cables and interfaces that I absolutely need to connect routers for up to date CCNA preparation. Imagine such a silly question at CCNA exam :)

Thanks.
    Hey, that's what we're here for. You're welcome icon_wink.gif

Interfaces: Two kinds: Serial and Ethernet (or FastEthernet). Pretty much most of the 2500 series routers have both. Some of them may have Token Ring, BRI for ISDN etc... but those interfaces support technologies no longer covered by the CCNA exam(s). You'll find that a few models (like 2520) include 4 or more Serial interfaces and therefore can act as Frame Relay Switches. Others (like 2509) have 1 or 2 interfaces that support 8 asynchronous connections (either through an octal cable, or via several RJ45 cables), usually used to connect to your other hardware's console port in order to act as your Access Server. As for the Ethernet interfaces found on the 2500 routers, they come in two flavors: RJ45 port or AUI port. The latter needs a AUI-to-RJ45 10 Base-T Tranceiver in order to connect it to other RJ45 ports on your routers/switches. The switches usually have FastEthernet interfaces.

Cables: For Serial interfaces, you'll want to get DB60 back-to-back cables to connect 2 routers on their Serial interfaces. These cables have one DTE end and one DCE end. For Ethernet interfaces, you'll use regural RJ45 UTP or STP cables, either straight-through to connect routers and PCs to switches or crossover to use between switches. You'll also need one or more Rollover cables, which have one RJ45 end to plug into your gear's console port, and an other DB9 serial end to connect to your PC's serial port. This is the cable that allows you to access the command line interface of your device.

There, I think I pretty much wrapped it up. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to fire them up.

PS: Don't mind the technical terms I used. You'll encounter all of them during your studies for CCNA. Also, Google should be your best friend.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin
    What about OS license if upgrade needed?
    I understood that switch should be 2950. Would 2924 missing something important?

And routers 2500 will be 100% OK (with more memory)?
    Sorry for pushing the same question.
  • eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    pob579 wrote:
    What about OS license if upgrade needed?
    I understood that switch should be 2950. Would 2924 missing something important?

And routers 2500 will be 100% OK (with more memory)?
    Sorry for pushing the same question.

Hi pob579;

2500 serie router with 12.2 IOS should be fine for CCNA, between 2924 and 2950 are few differents but 2924 is ok, i would recomend 2950, 2950 only supports 802.1Q ( 2924 supports ISL/dot1q ), CLI support for 'range' command, QoS, Rapid Spanning-Tree, Access Control using ACLs on a port-basis, IGMP Snooping, etc, these are few.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
    I will never go with 2924 - 2950 only! :)

OS question:

what should be on 2950 and on 2600.
    In case that I will get a deal with lower OS ver than required.
    How to upgrade?
    Or I shoul look for particular OS and not lower?

So what OS should be?
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try to get IOS version 12.2 or later. I think CCNA uses 12.2. Thats what I read from someone here on the forum. Try to get IP plus or enterprise as long as you have enough memory to handle it. MGeorge has an outstanding thread on IOS version feature sets. I recommend everyone save that thread as a FAV. Most kits that I have seen on the internet were loaded with the latest IOS or claimed to be anyway. If not, you can prob get an image from someone on the forum and ask someone like darby or mikeJ to help you copy the image to flash. good luck!

Also I don't think the version is as important as the feature set. Make sure you have an image with a feature set on your switch that can Vlan and VTP.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    Hi,
    I appreciate all your advices. I am really in a "dificult" situation with my decision to start CCNA prep. Too much info just to start. But it's exiting for me.
    After tons of reading those days I did first move today in buying some equipment. And feel very proud :)
    I guess you can confirm if I did a right thing.
    Budget is important thing. I can spend some money. But I don't like to put on something that I will never use.
    I found a local guy and bought 2 2924M-XL-EN for $80 CA (about $70US + 30km driving expences :)) in perfect external condition. Hope it will be 100% functional.

The guy connected near me with Hiper Terminal. All tests PASS. v.12.0.5.
    I have 2+1 Fiber modules.
    Do I need them for CCNA? Or I can sell them on E-bay?
    I feel I had a good deal.
    I will try to get 2950 (I still don't know what for :) but people saying it's nice to have). I am not at a real playing stage. Just collect the info and doing Subnetting questions.
    I have a lot of fun with it.

From markzab's thread "Help building a CCNA+ lab..." I made a conclusion that it will be nice to have 3 routers for CCNA. And the "best sellers" are 2610, 11 ,12. I will not touch 2500.
    So this is my next point. What is your opinion about my LAB plan.

Thanks a lot.
    Michael.
    pob579 wrote:
    And the "best sellers" are 2610, 11 ,12. I will not touch 2500.
    For CCNA (and some say CCNP/CCIE) 2500 are as good as 2600. Plus they are a lot cheaper and quieter. They're the main routers I use for my lab.

By the way, the switch deal was not bad. Did you get a console cable with them?
    I don't have console cable yet. will get soon.

OHH... with 2500!!!
    So many advices to avoid them :)
    I could buy yesterday 2507 (no one did'nt talk about it here)
    It contains many Ethernet ports, kind of switch. May be you know something about this particular model.
    I am waiting for the prices for 2600.
    I am a metall collector at this stage :)
    Thank you for your first advice about building my own lab instead of buying ready.
    thanks for a detailed answer. Sure that I am not able to analyse correctly all the features of 2500 and 2600. Just confusing a bit because some posts saying that there are some limits for a proper training for CCNA.
    I have an option for 2507.
    How it is? For the start?
    pob579 wrote:
    thanks for a detailed answer. Sure that I am not able to analyse correctly all the features of 2500 and 2600. Just confusing a bit because some posts saying that there are some limits for a proper training for CCNA.
    I have an option for 2507.
    How it is? For the start?

I have in my rack 6 2514 (dual ethernet) and 2 2503 (ISDN), i never used one 2507 but i'm telling you, i used the 2514 routers with enterprise IOS and all routing protocols are there, still this babies are UP for the CCNA/CCNP, of course, in the future you'll need 2600 and 3600 serie routers.

You already bought 2 2924M switches, but in my opinion, i better go with 2950.

Hope this help.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i'd look for a 2514 - its been my most useful router so far, don't know why. my rack has:
    2520 frame switch
    2514 2 serial/2 ethernet
    2 2501 2 serial 1 ethernet ach..

(and then a 2620 and a 3620)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    VIVA 2500! :)

It looks like my confusion after reading different threads.
    I understand that 2500 will be absolutely enough for me.
    But if I will find a good deal for couple of 2600 would it be better than 2500?
    pob579 wrote:
    VIVA 2500! :)

It looks like my confusion after reading different threads.
    I understand that 2500 will be absolutely enough for me.
    But if I will find a good deal for couple of 2600 would it be better than 2500?

Hi,

You will need for sure couple of 2600 series router because they have features that the 2500 series router don't have, so if you find a good deal with 2600 (2610/2611/2612) take them.

Hope this help.
    2- 2600
    and 1-2507 will be OK?

or better 3 - 2600 ?
    pob579 wrote:
    2- 2600
    and 1-2507 will be OK?

or better 3 - 2600 ?

Hi.

Between these two opcions i'll go for 3 2600.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gif
    I have a cables question...
    jvax kindly provided general info to my question in this thread.
    Now I know "my way" more precisely.

1. So I will have 3 routers:
    3-2600
    or 2-2600 and 1-2500 or 3 2600 Do I need 2 DB60 for both options?
    or can I use RJ45?

2. Console cables:
    I know (already :) that for my 2924 I need DB9 to RJ45

What should I need for router console?

What will be the optimal solution cable wise for the scenario:
    3 routers 2 switches( may be 3 (probably 2950)
    pob579 wrote:
    I have a cables question...
    jvax kindly provided general info to my question in this thread.
    Now I know "my way" more precisely.

1. So I will have 3 routers:
    3-2600
    or 2-2600 and 1-2500 or 3 2600 Do I need 2 DB60 for both options?
    or can I use RJ45?

2. Console cables:
    I know (already :) that for my 2924 I need DB9 to RJ45

What should I need for router console?

What will be the optimal solution cable wise for the scenario:
    3 routers 2 switches( may be 3 (probably 2950)

Hi.

If you go for the 2600 series, to use BD60 you need to have at least one wic-1T on each one, with 3 2600 routers you'll need 4 wic-1t cards to connect all back to back, the 2500 routers come with two serial interfaces so you only need cables, and of course to connect the routers to the switch you only need regular cat5e cables.

Console cable, with one is enough for all routers/switches and if you can get one 2509 would be better because you can use it as an access server.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
    Routers to the switch is clear :)

I understand 3 2600 option.

Just to precise: if it will be 2 2600 and one 2509 I will not be able to DB60. DB9 only for all 3. correct? Will it affect my lab? Probably not :)

thanks for the answers!
    Here's what you should get for your lab.

Routers:
    One 2514 (because it has 2 serials & 2 ethernets)
    Two 2611 + Two WIC-1T (to be able to connect them to your 2514 using DB60-DB60 cables)

Switches:
    One 2950
    Two 2924 (or two 2912)

Cables:
    3 console cables (or just one if you don't mind unplugging it from one device to plug it into another.)
    2 DB60-DB60 cables (for your serial connections between your routers)
    7 crossover ethernet cables or more (6 to create an etherchannel triangle between your switches + 1 for router-on-a-stick)
    5 straight-through ethernet cables or more (to connect between routers and switches)

Memory modules:
    Try to max your routers on Flash and RAM to be able to run the latest IOS images.

This should provide you with a lab that'll take you through almost any CCNA practice scenario.

Hope this helps.
    My deal for 2600 didn't work the way I wanted. But still could...
    And I just carefully read your advices... Sorry... You all trying to persuade me that 2500
    is absolutely enough for CCNA level (and even more). And I kind of ignore this... (because I read other threads before). This is experience too :)
    S O R R Y.

I can exchange one of my 2924 switch back for the 2507. It's like 2501 just with 16 Ethernet ports hub build in.
    And I will look for couple more 2500.

Question:
    Would 1 switch be enough for CCNA?

Thanks.
    pob579 wrote:
    My deal for 2600 didn't work the way I wanted. But still could...
    And I just carefully read your advices... Sorry... You all trying to persuade me that 2500
    is absolutely enough for CCNA level (and even more). And I kind of ignore this... (because I read other threads before). This is experience too :)
    S O R R Y.

I can exchange one of my 2924 switch back for the 2507. It's like 2501 just with 16 Ethernet ports hub build in.
    And I will look for couple more 2500.

Question:
    Would 1 switch be enough for CCNA?

Thanks.
    You can give up on 2600 and try to get the best deal that you can on 2500 routers.

Be sure to get at least one 2514 if you can since it has 2 Ethernet interfaces and would be very useful in your lab.

To answer your question, 1 switch is definitely better than nothing. But you could learn a lot more with 2 switches, and more with 3.
    jvax, thanks for frendly answers. I really feel care :)

Un update : I just purchased 2 2600 for a very good price. Better not to tell :)
    And 1 2950 a bit pricey. Probably will try to exchange one of my 2924 to 2507.

Bottom line:
    I am waiting for:
    2 - 2610
    1 - 2950
    In stock 2 - 2924

I can keep both 2924. But it's a bit bulky. And I guess 2 swithches will be enough for a newbie.
    As I mentioned I can change back 1 2924 to 2507 (if you never saw it :) it's like 2501 just with
    16 Ethernet ports).
    Will be simple router more usefull than a switch in my situation? Definetly I can add one more 2514 if you will suggest.
    Or I can stop with 2 2610 1 2507 and 2924 and 2950?

Hard time. Buying, searching talking :)
    Your fault :) You told me to build a Lab is better than buying it.
    I even tryied today to build a console cable today. Took Com and Ethernet cables, found PINOUT... Didn't work. But had fun. Tomorrow should get ready one. I want to play with a switch!

Thanks a lot.
    Michael.
    pob579 wrote:
    jvax, thanks for frendly answers. I really feel care :)

Un update : I just purchased 2 2600 for a very good price. Better not to tell :)
    And 1 2950 a bit pricey. Probably will try to exchange one of my 2924 to 2507.

Bottom line:
    I am waiting for:
    2 - 2610
    1 - 2950
    In stock 2 - 2924

I can keep both 2924. But it's a bit bulky. And I guess 2 swithches will be enough for a newbie.
    As I mentioned I can change back 1 2924 to 2507 (if you never saw it :) it's like 2501 just with
    16 Ethernet ports).
    Will be simple router more usefull than a switch in my situation? Definetly I can add one more 2514 if you will suggest.
    Or I can stop with 2 2610 1 2507 and 2924 and 2950?

Hard time. Buying, searching talking :)
    Your fault :) You told me to build a Lab is better than buying it.
    I even tryied today to build a console cable today. Took Com and Ethernet cables, found PINOUT... Didn't work. But had fun. Tomorrow should get ready one. I want to play with a switch!

Thanks a lot.
    Michael.

Hi dude,

That's a very nice rack to start, just an advice, keep those switches and if you can, buy another router, then a couple of wic-1t to connect then back to back to simulate wan.

Keep the 2924 to do ISL trunk because the 2950 doesn't support it but you would need at least one 2620 to do it, also a couple of crossover cables to connect them.

I just notice you're from Canada, i'm in GTA so if you are close PM me, i can help you in what you need.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gif
    icon_sad.gif in Montreal
    Thanks for the support.
    What you will recommend as 3rd router from 2500 series?
    pob579 wrote:
    What you will recommend as 3rd router from 2500 series?
    if you were to get only one more, go for the 2520 (4 serial + 1 ethernet) to use as a Frame Relay Switch.
    Finally got super nice blue ribon cable. Whole story... Eventually found a seller on e-bay. Located in Montreal. He sales couple of 2500 series. I asked him a question about cable only.
    He answered that can provide me one. I met him. What a person! He kindly invited me to show his lab. Monster! ooouf!. BTW He is Cisco specialist and has next to CCNP sertification (forgot what it is :) ).
    He gave me a nice lecture. I asked tons of questions. COOL!

It's kind of phenomen. Looks like all Cisco community is a very special, open group of people.

Today I spent some time on my switch. First thing Privileged exec mode was protected.
    I found procedures for disabling... Fun. A lot of new things for me in switch.
    I worked always with one 100 pc 1 subnet LAN and couple of small remote offices.
    I used HP Procurve 4000 switches but didn't touch VLAN.

As usually :)
    Question:
    I can buy 2 2500 2501 and 2503 with 16M latest OS, cables, soft other bla bla from the guy above. He absolutely didn't have any interest to push to me this stuff. I explained him what I have and he told that those two will be very good addition to my Lab. And no hassle with memory, cables, trancievers etc.
    I thought about 2509/11. Later I decided I don't need it. When everything is configured I can telnet all units.
    Now 2514 and last sugestion 2520.

I feel like to buy from the nice man and specialist and have some local support.

Sorry for my never ending post. All this process takes a lot of energy and is EMOTIONAL :) for me.
    Oh....

This is my switch... is it OK in terms of IOS and etc. ?

ð

C2900XL Boot Loader (C2900-HBOOT-M) Version 12.0(5.2)XU, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE
    Compiled Mon 17-Jul-00 18:19 by ayounes
    starting...
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:03:e3:82:65:80
    Xmodem file system is available.
    Initializing Flash...
    flashfs[0]: 109 files, 3 directories
    flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 3612672
    flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 2779136
    flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 833536
    flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 6 seconds.
    ...done Initializing Flash.
    Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3
    Parameter Block Filesystem (pb:) installed, fsid: 4
    Loading "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin"...#######################################
    ###################################################################
    #################################################

File "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000
    executing...

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.2)XU, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 17-Jul-00 17:35 by ayounes
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00301F3C

Initializing C2900XL flash...
    flashfs[1]: 109 files, 3 directories
    flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 3612672
    flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 2779136
    flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 833536
    flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 7 seconds.
    flashfs[1]: Initialization complete.
    ...done Initializing C2900XL flash.
    C2900XL POST: System Board Test: Passed
    C2900XL POST: Daughter Card Test: Passed
    C2900XL POST: CPU Buffer Test: Passed
    C2900XL POST: CPU Notify RAM Test: Passed
    C2900XL POST: CPU Interface Test: Passed
    C2900XL POST: Testing Switch Core: Passed
    C2900XL POST: Testing Buffer Table: Passed
    C2900XL POST: Data Buffer Test: Passed
    C2900XL POST: Configuring Switch Parameters: Passed
    C2900XL POST: Ethernet Controller Test: Passed
    C2900XL POST: MII Test: Passed
    cisco WS-C2924M-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FAB0440U1D0, with hardware revision 0x03
    Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software
    Cluster command switch capable
    Cluster member switch capable
    28 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:03:E3:82:65:80
    Motherboard assembly number: 73-3425-10
    Power supply part number: 34-0920-01
    Motherboard serial number: FAB043943HU
    Power supply serial number: PAC0427005Y
    Model revision number: A0
    Motherboard revision number: F0
    Model number: WS-C2924M-XL-EN
    System serial number: FAB0440U1D0

Module Ports Model HW Version SW version

1 2 WS-X2922-XL-V xxxx xxxx
    2 2 WS-X2922-XL-V xxxx xxxx

Press RETURN to get started!

C2900XL INIT: Complete

00:00:44: %SYS-5-CONFIG: Configured from NVRAM by console
    00:00:44: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.2)XU, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 17-Jul-00 17:35 by ayounes
    CPLITI_PLNT_ITEC_CSCO2924M_01>
    CPLITI_PLNT_ITEC_CSCO2924M_01>