DUAL BOOT

terminalterminal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've got a pc that was meant to be dual boot. I previously had the option at boot up to either boot into windows xp pro or red hat 9. Well i don't remember messing about though clearly something is not quite right. I initially installed win xp pro then linux. I've gone into the system startup and recovery and got this info. Could the issue lie here?

[boot loader]
timeout=194
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Any suggestions ? Thanks
BE WISE,

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The issue wouldn't be the boot.ini, it would be with GRUB or LILO which are the boot loaders that Linux uses. I know a bit about Linux, but not enough to help you configure GRUB or LILO.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • terminalterminal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    The issue wouldn't be the boot.ini, it would be with GRUB or LILO which are the boot loaders that Linux uses. I know a bit about Linux, but not enough to help you configure GRUB or LILO.
    cheers
    BE WISE,
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    You installed XP first and RH second right?

Did you install lilo or grub?

Where was these installed? (active partition or MBR) (Royal - You can configure grub on a active partition and use windows bootloader to boot to it, more complicated but leaves MBR untouched)

Did this ever work?

EDIT - Just re-read your post, so it did work at one point. Have you re-installed XP or recovered XP or run fdisk /mbr or fixmbr that you can recall?

My first guess would be that the linux bootloader was installed into the MBR and that has been overwritten.

Do you have a live CD distro or linux boot cd as this could be used to boot linux partition and re-install the bootloader?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools