Options

Alternative terminal server solutions....

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, need some ideas on this...

I'm hooking up with a friend of mine here to share lab equipment, which will reside at one of us. However, we don't yet have a 2509 or 2511 router to setup as a terminal server...

What other "cheap" solutions are there that we can setup in the meantime?

Thanks,
Ryan
CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
Working on renewing CCNA!

Comments

• Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    remote desktop into a computer on the network?
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You know what...I've been thinking so much Cisco, Cisco, Cisco lately that RDP never even crossed my mind... :)
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    you could get a multiple pci>serial card.. or a few of them depending on how much equipment.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SSH?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welp, I've never been scared to look stupid on this forum before. Why start now?

What's a terminal server?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    If you asked "What is a terminal server" in the MS forums, you would get a completely different answer. This being the CCNA forum, though... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    OKay guys heres something that popped into my head today - since the 2509/11-RJ routers apparently have built in hubs, what is stopping me from buying a hub and somehow using that to console into my equipment?? or am i just crazy?

• Options
    jvaxjvax Member Posts: 117
    I might be wrong but I don't think the 2509/2511-RJ have built-in hubs. I think those are 8 or 16 separate asynchronous lines. Can anyone confirm this?

As for using a standard hub, I will try it and let you know how it went, although I am pretty sure it won't work, but again, you never know icon_wink.gif
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    awesome. i kinda don't know how it would work, but i know i've seen on ebay ads that its a built in hub which is why i asked :)

• Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    awesome. i kinda don't know how it would work, but i know i've seen on ebay ads that its a built in hub which is why i asked :)
    Yep! Didn't work icon_lol.gif Kinda knew it.

I guess serial signals are different from Ethernet signals and thus are not repeated by Ethernet hubs.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    One more observation.

If such a hub should even exist, it would repeat the signals from your PC to every device connected to it.

You'd then type a command and every device would receive it!! Not exactly what Access Servers do.
  • Options
    yeah i guess i should of known better.. thanks for the help though!

• Options
    jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    sprkymrk wrote:
    If you asked "What is a terminal server" in the MS forums, you would get a completely different answer. This being the CCNA forum, though... icon_wink.gif

Roughly the same concept though.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • Options
    ahh maybe i was getting the model numbers confused then.

in that case. what are some good alternatives? is there anything tfrom another venodr that'll work?

---- just like to mention that i've spent enough money on my lab that its okay for me to try an fnd every option that doesn't include buying a 2511 right now :P

• Options
    jasonboche wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Roughly the same concept though.

Jason - I was just poking fun at this:
    A terminal server is a device that is used to access other devices remotely and basically give us a means of entering commands just as if we are at the command prompt <snip> We do not all need gui interfaces to do everything.

I already mentioned SSH (and purposefully did NOT mention telnet), and Darby's answer was fine - for Cisco Terminal Server. Maybe I should have used the "lol" instead of the "wink". You can certainly gain remote access to a command prompt on a Windows box, but that's not a Terminal Server in the MS world. The full GUI is what you get there. :)