Options

Switch Manager Software

pob579pob579 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I just bought 2 2924 and don't have yet console cable. On Cisco site I found a doc "Setting Up StackPack". They mention :
Catalyst 2900 series XL switches can be linked using the provided Fast EtherChannel cables and the Fast EtherChannel configuration feature. The cables provide the physical link, and the Fast EtherChannel feature provides the logical link. shows four Catalyst 2924 XL switches connected to a Catalyst 2916M XL or Catalyst 2924M XL switch.

1. Are Fast EtherChannel cables just regular CAT5?

2. Configuring the Stack
The stack is configured using the Port Group (EtherChannel) page in the Catalyst 2900 series XL switch Manager software and online help for Manager software.

Question: Do they mean Network Assistant? Does this tool the same things that command line permit? Is it possible to manage switches and routers?

THX.

Comments

• Options
    flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To etherchannel a switch is to use multiple CAT5 cables and multiple ports to connect switches. Rather than the switches seeing this as a loop or a redundant link, you can use the etherchannel command so the switches view this as one link. The reason behind this is to increase bandwidth. For example if you have a FastEthernet switch, you can etherchannel up to 8 ports, making your bandwidth 800Mbps as opposed to 100Mbps.
    Stacking switches requires stack cable and stack ports. By stacking switches you can configure multiple switches while only being consoled into one, without having to telnet into the other switches. For example the first port on your first switch would be g1/0/1. If you need to configure the second switch, rather than telnetting into into it or moving the console cable, you can stack them and configure the port on the second switch using the command int g2/0/1.
    Back to your original question about using etherchannel or switch stacking as a means of consoling into a switch, neither of these (as far as I know) will allow you to do so, you will still need a console cable.
    I wouldn't worry to much about stacks and etherchannels as they are not relevant to the CCNA, it's just something good to know down the line for real life situations.
    Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.
  • Options
    pob579pob579 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks very much.