cramsession guide for 70-292?

djabudjabu Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
cramsession guide for 70-292? is there such a thing? or no? if so please do let me know. i found cramsession helpful for reivision. also is there anything similar to cramy session for this exam? any help is much apperciated TIA

Comments

• jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    Not that I know of. My book was 1700 pages and even that one book alone isn't enough to pass 70-292.

Do not underestimate this exam or try to take the "easy way" or you will be met with failure.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • djabudjabu Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks Jason. no i do not undersestimate the exam. i got the ms press book and yet to open it. i'm just collecting all study materials so that i don't waste time later on. so far i've transcender, ms press book and cbt vids. cramsession would help to sum up in the end whatever i learned. its ok, i'll make my own notes.
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    Yes there is a cramsession for this exam as i have printed it off and have read through it, but the info in it i dont think is very good compared with other cramsessions, I'm personally using the MS press book, sybex book, CBT Nuggets, cramsession, hands on practising with 3 virtual servers and the one at work and even with this there are still some practice questions that i got completly wrong icon_eek.gif , after 2 months of study and my exam is next week.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
    Thanks Tibul. Gluck for the big one next week. could you tell me how to approach this MS Press upgrade book. In part 1 there are 14 chapters. Do I have to study them all? The reason why I ask is because Part 2 is divided in two sections one each for the upgrade exams. If that is the case why not divide part 1? MS expect us to cover the study material for both exam at once but only practise for one exam? i dont have problem in doing so, i just want to confirm i'm not missing anything. TIA
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you can't find enough 70-292 material, you could get the exam objectives from the 70-290 and 70-291 exam and compare those with the 292 exam to see which topics apply.

www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx
    www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx
    www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-292.mspx
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you talking about this book?

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-292 and 70-296)

If so, the chapters you'll need for 70-292 are listed at the beginning of each chapter in the book if yours is the same as mine. I show chapters 4, 8, 9, 10, and 13 in Part 1 and 15-20 in Part 2.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:

If so, the chapters you'll need for 70-292 are listed at the beginning of each chapter in the book if yours is the same as mine. I show chapters 4, 8, 9, 10, and 13 in Part 1 and 15-20 in Part 2.

thanks mate! that's exactly what i was looking for! they could have added those chapters at the start of the book to avoid confusion.

btw, for those who have passed, studying just these chapters from this book are enough right no need to look at the other chapters? curious to know how sybex is layed out...
    djabu wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

thanks mate! that's exactly what i was looking for! they could have added those chapters at the start of the book to avoid confusion.

btw, for those who have passed, studying just these chapters from this book are enough right no need to look at the other chapters? curious to know how sybex is layed out...

False. Read the whole book through, then brush back over the 292 relevant chapters. There is a fair amount of overlap between 292 and 296 although one big difference is that 292 is DNS heavy while 296 is not. As I said earlier, you will also need supplemental reading material. The MS Press 292/296 book will get you about 70% of the way through the exam which won't be enough to pass. I suggest the O'Reilly Windows Server 2003 DNS book as well as the study notes over at certtutor.net forums. They have one of the best assembled **** sheets for both 292 and 296. In addition there are rumors of vb scripting questions in the pool of questions which the MS Press book does not cover whatsoever. The **** sheets will have you covered should you get those questions.

Seriously, study for these two exams like you were studying for the BAR exam. Take no shortcuts. They are bears. 292 especially.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    thanks Jason. there are few concepts in the chapters targeted for 70-296 that i'm not familiar with. how can they expect a mcsa in 2000 to understand those without any piror knowledge as we are not exposed to those concepts before. They should be written for those who are intrested in doing upgrade exam for mcse. just yet another ms stuff up!

could i be a pain and ask you to post the direct link to the study notes over at certtutor.net as i'm not having much luck locating it. TIA
    Sure no problem at all. Looks like the certtutor.net forums merged with the Windows IT Pro forums. Going to certutor.net just redirects to the Windows IT Pro forums. Thankfully the study guides are still stickied up there.

Here's the link to the 70-292 study notes:
    http://www.netfresco.com/cert/70-292/

Here's the link to the 70-296 study notes:
    http://www.netfresco.com/cert/70-296/
    BTW, when you get to 70-296, you're welcome to look at my whiteboard which I jammed some last minute topics and concepts on that are key to remember for the exam.

http://www.boche.net/dropbox/readyfor70-296.jpg
    Thanks heaps Jason! those notes can proly be very handy before the exam. also ur white board looks greek to me lol well didn't spend much time lookin at it, but it sure is complex lol. anyhow, when lurking in your dropbox dir, without ur permission ofcourse, to find more whiteboard scribbles, i came across a snap of ur comp room and i liked the AD poster. Did it come with technet purchase?

296 is a long way to home because i'm yet to do mcse 2000 first to get to 296? or should i just follow the mcse 2003 stream after finishing off the 292 exam?
    djabu wrote:
    Thanks heaps Jason! those notes can proly be very handy before the exam. also ur white board looks greek to me lol well didn't spend much time lookin at it, but it sure is complex lol. anyhow, when lurking in your dropbox dir, without ur permission ofcourse, to find more whiteboard scribbles, i came across a snap of ur comp room and i liked the AD poster. Did it come with technet purchase?

296 is a long way to home because i'm yet to do mcse 2000 first to get to 296? or should i just follow the mcse 2003 stream after finishing off the 292 exam?

No problem, there aren't any secrets in /dropbox/. It's where I usually stage files in the process of helping others.

The AD Component JigSaw puzzle was a freebie in one of the issues of TechNet magazine a year or two ago. It's an awesome poster - definitely suitable for framing (I haven't gotten around to framing mine yet). I don't pay for TechNet magazine. I get it for free just like everyone else I believe. Don't confuse TechNet magazine with the Microsoft TechNet software subscription. They are two different things.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I have two subscriptions to TechNet magazine and therefore have an extra copy of the AD poster in pristine condition at work still folded up. I'm willing to part with it in order to help out a fellow MCP, but you'd have to promise to finish the 292 and 296 exams, and without braindumping. icon_evil.gif

Jas
    Oh by the way, another topic you're going to need to know that isn't covered in the 292/296 book AT ALL (and which I didn't even know about until preparing for the exam) is the Emergency Management Services process (which I had promptly and happily forgotten shortly after passing the exam).

I think putting EMS questions in the exam is lame for two reasons:
    1. Nobody I know uses EMS. And I know a lot of people. icon_lol.gif
    2. It's not covered in the MS Press book. icon_evil.gif

I feel MS needs to keep their exam objectives within the boundaries of the MS Press books they sell. I don't think it's real fair to the test takers to throw questions into the pool that aren't covered by the book, because then they are failing us in a couple of ways: We fail the exam @ $125US a pop, and we are sold an inadequate MS Press book.

Here's a primer covering all you'll need to know about how it works:
    http://www.mcsemag.info/solution/w2k11.htm

EMS seems about as popular as BSOD debugging with a null modem cable is/was. In today's "we need the server up now!!!" mentality, I can have the server rebuilt/restored quicker than trying to use EMS.
    no free technet subscriptins to my country =(

ok i'm gonna take your advice on for 292. i dont have much money and cant afford to buy more books so gonna look in our library for the DNS book you mentioned. it is going to take atleast 2-3 months for me to finish this exam but im familiar with most topics as i've used win2k3 recently a lot for ISA exam. but i could be wrong, there is a whole lot about DNS and AD i may not be aware.