Options

VLAN creation

fillthyfillthy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, whats the correct method to create a vlan on a 2950?

vlan 2
name blue
end

or

vlan database
vlan 2 name blue
end

Thanks
Phil

Comments

• Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    fillthy wrote:

vlan 2
    name blue
    end

or

vlan database
    vlan 2 name blue
    end

Thanks
    Phil

Hi fillthy,

You can use both ways but the fist opcion is the right way.

Hope this help.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    elegua wrote:
    fillthy wrote:

vlan 2
    name blue
    end

or

vlan database
    vlan 2 name blue
    end

Thanks
    Phil

Hi fillthy,

You can use both ways but the fist opcion is the right way.

Hope this help.

Actually Sybex and Cisco press say to use the Vlan database command when creating VLANS on a 2950. So for the test I would do it the Cisco way which is the second option. The first option is for a 1900 series switch that is no longer supported on the test.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm aware of both options, but if both ways are correct, why is only one option the "right" way? Do you mean it's right way for exam purposes?
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    I think the vlan database command is being phased out, however the latest books are still teaching it. I would pick up a Cisco Press book and do it exactly like they say. The right way is the cisco way.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    I think the vlan database command is being phased out, however the latest books are still teaching it. I would pick up a Cisco Press book and do it exactly like they say. The right way is the cisco way.

bingo, iirc 12.2+ should return a message saying that they are phasing out creating vlans in this way. For the exam do what the cisco press book says, cant go wrong that way. But make yourself aware of both.

Cheers
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Hi.

Try do to a vlan like you said is the correct way (using database), and read the message you got (output) from the switch, then you will know which one is the correct way to do vlans in 2950 series switch.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Ya I need to get some real gear already. Books and Boson just isn't cutting it for me.
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    Ya I need to get some real gear already. Books and Boson just isn't cutting it for me.

That would be very helpful, believe me.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    fillthyfillthy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I have a Cisco press book and it says vlan database, yet I took a course (Global Knowledge) and the Cisco verified course material don't mention the database method at all! I'm confused. I know I will get the question on my test asking to create a vlan and I wont know which method to use!
    Phil
  • Options
    jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    Pash wrote:
    Netstudent wrote:

bingo, iirc 12.2+ should return a message saying that they are phasing out creating vlans in this way. For the exam do what the cisco press book says, cant go wrong that way. But make yourself aware of both.

Cheers

Pash, FYI, I'm having a really hard time taking you seriously with that avatar of yours icon_lol.gif
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fillthy wrote:
    Hi, I have a Cisco press book and it says vlan database, yet I took a course (Global Knowledge) and the Cisco verified course material don't mention the database method at all! I'm confused. I know I will get the question on my test asking to create a vlan and I wont know which method to use!
    Phil

I think either way will work. Just familiarize yourself with both methods...the exam simulation software will only let you create vlans in the way it considers to be correct should you get a sim involving vlans. I wouldnt panic in the slightest.
    jasonboche wrote:
    Pash wrote:
    Netstudent wrote:

Cheers

Pash, FYI, I'm having a really hard time taking you seriously with that avatar of yours icon_lol.gif

Best comedy character in a film since dr evil in the austin power films.............but still they are all a mile off from peter sellers in the pink panther flicks.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.