Options

Server 2008 64-bit only?

I heard a rumour that server 2008 production release will only be for 64 bit hardware. is this true , same as exchange 2007. If it's the case it will take a while for companies to upgrade server hardware to 64 bit to be able to run longhorn

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is not true. It is confirmed that the next server release after Server 2008 will be 64-only. Microsoft has not officially announced whether the next client release codenamed Vienna will be 64-bit only.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read somewhere that the R2 for Server 2008 will be 64-bit only. The article didn't mention the intial relase of Server 2008.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I read that Server 2008 will be the last 32-bit release of Windows Server. I would be surprised if the R2 update is not available in 32 bit since they define R2 as a "minor release", but I guess it's possible.

64-bit ready hardware has been mainstream for about 2 years now. The big issue is going to be application support I would think, and not being able to directly upgrade from x86 to x64 without a complete reinstall
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    blargoe wrote:
    I read that Server 2008 will be the last 32-bit release of Windows Server.
    That's correct, although it was leaked out information at first, they probably already confirmed it somewhere now that the news is out.
    blargoe wrote:
    ]and not being able to directly upgrade from x86 to x64 without a complete reinstall
    Then they'll just have to create a 'Not-So-Easy Transfer Wizard'.