1st CCIE lab attempt blog and help for candidates.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Man,
    With the way your work is doing you this is getting to be a long and dreary road for you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    sounds like you should just say screw the study, and go take the lab. it sounds like real life is giving you all the study you need!

I'm a little disappointed that my study has come to a grinding halt for a bit. Finished my CCIP just in time to change jobs and be hit with 'oh yeah, btw, all operations employees are required to do GSEC. your books will be in next week' /sigh
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sounds like you should just say screw the study, and go take the lab. it sounds like real life is giving you all the study you need!

I'm a little disappointed that my study has come to a grinding halt for a bit. Finished my CCIP just in time to change jobs and be hit with 'oh yeah, btw, all operations employees are required to do GSEC. your books will be in next week' /sigh

That wouldnt work. You need to be a labrat for a couple of months to pull it all together. Dont have time right now.

Full on day and late night migration. Studies destroyed.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You had better be a millionaire by the end of this.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Turgon wrote: »
    That wouldnt work. You need to be a labrat for a couple of months to pull it all together. Dont have time right now.

Full on day and late night migration. Studies destroyed.

Yah, wishful thinking I guess. It's just kind of sad, it sounds like you're doing CCIE level work, but you just can't find the time to actually go deal with the CCIE
    Yah, wishful thinking I guess. It's just kind of sad, it sounds like you're doing CCIE level work, but you just can't find the time to actually go deal with the CCIE

Lot of us about like that. But we have the job so I will settle ;)
    Hellish day at work Friday. Studies destroyed.
    Work and Family commitments this weekend. Studies Destroyed.
    The last month has been shocking on the study front because of work commitments. I plan to reconnect by trying to get one hour a day this coming week looking over my topic notes. With a fair wind I may get that long overdue rack session in so I can get closure on QoS across the first 10 INE Vol II labs and cross 900 hours of racktime study.

Cool.
    A 20 minute peak at the test engine in the Cisco QoS book. Amazingly.
    Work very busy again. Studies annhilated
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Studies annhilated

Is this better or worse than destroyed? icon_lol.gif
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Is this better or worse than destroyed? icon_lol.gif

Worse. Either that or the forum won't let him post 'destroyed' again!

Looks like a really busy time at work Turgon (understatement). I'm glad you have a CCIE level job though even if you don't have time to progress with the cert right now...... I'm just hoping it isn't grinding you down too much!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Yep. Another busy day full of deadlines and technical meetings. Study time zero.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Yep. Another busy day full of deadlines and technical meetings. Study time zero.

Study time zero = actual practical experience + 8 hours.....

I feel bad everytime I read this.....

But I think you are discounting the experience you are gaining on the job on a daily basis....

give credit where credit it due....icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    miller811 wrote: »
    Study time zero = actual practical experience + 8 hours.....

I feel bad everytime I read this.....

But I think you are discounting the experience you are gaining on the job on a daily basis....

give credit where credit it due....icon_cheers.gif

The work is all good actually. I already work alongside CCIEs. Work is what pays the bills and theres lots of it to do. Im not paid to miss deadlines because Im reading books or doing practice labs. At the end of the working day Im too tired to get into all of that at the moment and the projects Im doing are not break/fix things that get solved in a day although the effort each day on them is very consequential.

Its just the way it is at the moment and I expected this to be the case when I signed up to the job. If I took and passed the lab next week it wouldn't make the gig any easier. I would just be more qualified :), and it's not as if I need a CCIE to get out of a dead end job and move into the big leagues as Im already there. One must be realistic with ones time, focus and energy levels once you are in a Network Architect role in an SP. All that stuff is needed at work as managers and engineers are counting on me and I have many responsibilities.

Hellishly busy day ahead and up early to meet a deadline. There will be no studies today either.
    Workin late. Studies obliterated. Need to work part weekend too to get some architecture documentation done by Wednesday. Studies splattered.
    wan fixed this evening. Studies zero.
    A shattering few weeks but successful on the workfront. This weekend we try and recover on the homefront and catchup on a bit of work administration as well as kickstart a report I need to get in for Wednesday. Sometime this weekend Im hopeful I can get a few hours study in.
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon: I hope I don't come across as a wiseass, but seriously dude.

Telling yourself (and us) in basically every post how your studies were destroyed is GOING to destroy your studies. You're going to talk yourself into quitting before you've even tried the Lab. I'm sure it started as a joke, but ...

I do the same thing all the time
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
    good day out with the family today. Studies on hold but thats fine!
    7AM Sunday. Early start as I have a design to get out for work. If I can have a good day on this it should help free up some studytime this week. Rack slots on INE seem taken this week so I may try an IPexpert and see if I can do some INE exercises on their racks. But first time to make my boys breakfast.
    Whole day spent producing report for the company in time for Wednesday meet. Progress. Time for the family now.
    Productive day at work. No studies today.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No studies today.
    Do you at least get 20 minutes to each lunch where you could at least review some of your notes each day?

I just noticed it's just after 2pm and I haven't had breakfast or lunch yet icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    its just an exhausting period at work. October will be better.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I just noticed it's just after 2pm and I haven't had breakfast or lunch yet icon_lol.gif

Pub lunch it is then icon_thumright.gif
    Looks like Turgon needs one too!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    WFH day. If I can get some work off my desk I can reorientate for an hour on the studies again.
    Aggresive documentation deadlines met although impromptu meeting for customer solution came up. No studies today.
    arguably the hardest month of my 13 year career is over. Result.
This discussion has been closed.