Options

1st CCIE lab attempt blog and help for candidates.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Added useful config content from INE Vol II lab no 10 to my configuration notes. Crossed 300 pages now across all topics. Lab 10 offers useful walk through on eigrp variance, multicast group ACL calculation and good examples of security and IP services features. Lab 11 to be examined next.
  • Options
    Certainly the most demanding year in my 14 years in IT. Far too busy at work to even think about looking at lab 11 and far too tired after work and family duties to go near it. Lots on my mind to work through for tomorrow and a full day ahead at the office. Work going well and thats what pays the bills. Will look at lab 11 during the weekend.
  • Options
    Some brief note taking from INE Vol II lab 11 this evening now the kids are in bed.
  • Options
    Sunday. Way too busy with the young children and my wife to study. Some shopping, even fixed the garden shed roof (hopefully). Tired. Looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow for a rest.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    You sure are one busy man. I hope you someday get the rest you deserve but it's tough being the goto guy.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get some rest then hit the studies hard again once time allows.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    7:30 am. Watching the kids before work while my wife gets some much needed sleep. Hellish week ahead at work in terms of my deadlines and demands on my time. Will try and crib notes from vol 2 in between meetings!
  • Options
    Notes for INE Vol II lab no 11 taken. Will add to my study notes for INE labs later this evening when the kids are asleep.
  • Options
    INE Vol II lab 11 gems added to my configuration notes this evening. Up on 318 pages of config now across all protocols. I will try and cover one INE Vol II lab each day. The whole document needs a good tidy up. Once Im done inspecting and documenting the good stuff across the 20 labs then I have my own personal configuration practice workbook to start battering out across Christmas.

I expect to be repeating the configs I have in these notes several times until I have them down. Throw in Vol II practice labs for form and speed and some mock exams and that's me set in terms of configuration practice through 2012. Once I have decent marks in the mocks it's a case of doing troubleshooting practice using the INE workbooks as I prepare for the actual exam. Projection is configuration notes and VOL III labs + occasional mock exams ->April 2012. Then its troubleshooting and mocks, written prep, written pass, lab.

Look over lab 12 tomorrow and make notes to capture the configs of interest
  • Options
    Full day of meetings. No studies progressed and too tired this evening. Will try again later in the week. Appraisal with the boss in a few weeks time. My lack of progress in CCIE aspirations will be of no interest to him whatsoever.
  • Options
    Hammered with work today and meetings, no studies. Will look at lab 12 when the kids are in bed this evening.
  • Options
    Too tired to study last night. Preparing a technical presentation to give to senior management today..
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Good luck with the presentation. I'm sure you will do fine. Do you feel reading the labs helps you to prepare?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Good luck with the presentation. I'm sure you will do fine. Do you feel reading the labs helps you to prepare?

The lab work helps me keep up with the fulltime designers and engineers I work alongside so its certainly useful for technical direction meetings and validating designs. I find that a lot of people do the CCIE to get a great job. Once you have a great job there's no time to become a CCIE. One cannot have it both ways.
  • Options
    A big mess to sort out first thing so a major infrastructure change can go ahead and our CCIE has documentation covering things he and operations are unfamilar with. Then I have to train 20 network engineers and after that sort out network tools. No studies likely on Friday. Happy days.
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Turgon,

Well yes you are correct. CCIE helps you to find a great job, but you can find one without it.

Also in this thread i can really see your effort that you put into this, i think it is really hard. Hope to have this when i prepare for my CCIE.

Almost 1000 hours for the lab. WOW!

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    A busy, stressful and tiring day but a way forward worked out. My wife has housecleaning plans for me this weekend and other things to do on the homefront. Its unlikely I will get any studying done this weekend. What free time I will have will be spent pouring over designs and other technical things to prepare to advise colleagues at work hit a major infrastructure change deadline next week which they do not fully understand. But that's ok, and why I earn more than many CCIEs in the UK. Off for some rest now..
  • Options
    Its the weekend. Lots to do in the house.
  • Options
    Still too busy at work.
  • Options
    November is still pants. Totally screwed over being focused at work sorting everyones crap out. It's what they pay me big bucks for. Too exhausted after work to do any study. Cool.
  • Options
    House cleaning and giving my wife a hand with the children. There will be no studies today.
  • Options
    Far too preoccupied with work projects to study. Presentation to give in London Wednesday, spent Sunday preparing it.
  • Options
    Up at 4AM to get a train to present to the UK Chief Engineer in London. Tired. Really busy day at work. Perhaps December will open up some studytime when Im on holiday.
  • Options
    November has been a shocker on the workfront with no time or energy for any CCIE studies of any consequence. I can't wait for my Christmas leave.
  • Options
    Another busy week at work over. No studies possible. Next week is my last before the vacation. Things will slow down so I will start to pick up on lab studying and note taking and try a few rack sessions.
  • Options
    Stupid requirements at work on my time, energy and attention have zapped my studies in November. It's December. 9PM, Saturday evening, kids finally in bed. Time to review INE Vol II lab no 12 and make some notes.
  • Options
    Took a little over an hour to go over the solution guide for lab 12 and take the notes on the configurations Im particularly interested in revising when I do get some lab time. I think that's a good sign actually. Of note in lab 12 are lots of examples of BGP attributes and filtering, also hiearchical QoS in a frame relay map-class, multicast helper as well.
  • Options
    Documented lab 13 and 14 over the weekend. No study time this week as much on at work before my vacation. Checked graded labs for racktime and December is practically booked up. I appreciate its a busy time but having taken my money for all these credits I do think they should try harder to ensure I can use them..
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Documented lab 13 and 14 over the weekend. No study time this week as much on at work before my vacation. Checked graded labs for racktime and December is practically booked up. I appreciate its a busy time but having taken my money for all these credits I do think they should try harder to ensure I can use them..

I agree. I know sales can sometimes help with this. I know they are frequently booked for bootcamps.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Work over and now on vacation. No studies possible. No studies possible over Christmas or my wife will kill me. We have far too much to do. Gotta love it.
This discussion has been closed.