Options

Internet dial-up question

ChadaeChadae Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was on the internet last night and my comptuer had some error that froze everything. I did ctr,alt+del and shut down the computer. Of course I had to end task on several programs that were runnign. Then I restarted it and it went through scandisk then when i got to the login prompt--I shut it down. This morning to my surprise none of the phones in my house worked. My mom was kinda pissed figuring that the telephone people made some mistake...anyway I started up my computer and did the whole dial-up---and it had a dial tone. Then I logged off/shutdown. and when I checked the phones--they worked. Does anyone know the deal with this?? Was it possible that I was still connected to the internet?

p.s. Im using win me---will soon upgrade to xp realllll soon.

Comments

• Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    might be a virus.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Try here for a good anti-virus program. 30 day trial, but it may find something now.

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=nod32&tg=dl-2001
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Or, you can try the HouseCall at www.antivirus.com (trendmicro)
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I scanned my computer with those newly found tools--and I had a total of 6--two being trojans. Its so funny, cause I thought I got rid of them already--but it keeps coming back. I even deleted it from the registry and somehow I keep getting another virus. This really sucks--im tempted to buy that no-popup software. Thanx again guys. :)
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Pop up software won't stop a virus. Zone Alarm personal firewall will. You can get it free at http://www.zonelabs.com/
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You may have deleted it (the trojan) from the registry, however a guess would be that the program it came in on is still there and set to run every time you boot up.
    Remember to turn off system restore before you cleanse your system.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    M_BoydM_Boyd Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    your best just doing what I do when I find virus'es....

I have two rules for PC's

1 Always leave your computer in a state where if worst comes to the worst, your not going to get angry because you've lost files that cannot be replaced reasonably quick....

2 When getting a virus - completely wipe your computer and put your OS back onto the computer. I also completely wipe the computer often when my files are scattered all over the place....etc

My advice if you got viruses/trojens - just reformat your HD and reinstall....
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone. ..the thing was that I did not turn off system restore-- icon_eek.gif so thats why it kept showing up--darn thing. Anyways--its all good now. Yet I think as soon as I get one problem fixed something else happens icon_lol.gif