Options

Is Cisco planning to stop the CCIP cert track?

Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
All the books I've come across were either written or published in 2002. Not only that, there aren't enough books for all tests for this cert track. For instance I've yet to find a BGP exam cert book dedicated to the CCIP track even after searching ciscopress's website. What material/resources have you all used/using for the IP track? I also heard from some of my co-workers that Cisco is already integrating the exam topics from the IP into the NP, can anyone here verify the validity of that rumor? Thanks for your input mates.
INE v4 volume 1

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've got "BGP Designing and Implementation" by Cisco Press, and it's a brick of solid knowledge. I've found that most of my BGP knowledge comes from experience in the service provider world though. Your mileage may vary as far as experience goes, however.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The current version of the Cisco Courseware is only about a year old so it is still active from Cisco's perspective. Not sure why there isn't a Cisco Press study guide for BGP, maybe there isn't enough demand to justify writing one, no author wants to do it, or what's on the DocCD is good enough. I personally think you can learn tons for free using the DocCD, but I have also read the Cisco BGP courseware and that is very good as well (the $150-$300 pricetag is a bit heafty but my employer pays for it)

As for older books on BGP they should be fine for 90% of BGP (the fundametals haven't changed) just study up on Multiprotocol BGP (address families and such), know some of the newer features and possible changes (synchronization is now off by default for example) and you should be fine. There is a new version of the BGP command and configuration handbook by Parkhurst from last year, not really a "sit by the fire and read it book" but has tons of lab examples to practice. What I really like about this book is many of the labs are done with 2-3 routers and don't require extensive lab setups as I have seen in many books.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback fellows. I was recently hired by a large ISP in their IP NOC so I'm already doing lots of BGP stuff more than I probably need for the BSCI, however I was thinking of switching my plan to doing the CCNP to the CCIP since most of the things I do now deals with MPLS/VPN QoS and BGP, but I was quite depressed to find out that there aren't enough books for this track written by ciscopress. I have access to lots of resources and books at work but I preferred using the Ciscopress cert guide/self study books and apparently there aren't much out there. Oh well, I guess I don't have much of choice then.
    INE v4 volume 1
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There weren't that any exam cert guides for the CCVP when I took it... and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere :D

For the CCIP
    For QOS -- The Odom QoS book

For BGP The Halabi Internet Routing Architecture book is THE BGP BOOK and maybe the Parkhurst BGP Command Reference (for reference)

And for MPLS.... I'd consider looking at the MPLS Fundamentals book and MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software books -- but the MPLS and VPN Architecture Vol 1 & 2 are still the recommended ones the last time I checked (and what I used).

I'm don't think I needed to read the Traffic Engineering with MPLS book for the CCIP -- but you'd want to check the exam blueprints to make your own decision.

And then fall back to the DocDVD (online Docs) for anything new that may have crawled into the exam blueprints.

The MPLS in one of the new/updated CCNP exams may be the "Customer side configurations" -- just a small tip of the MPLS iceberg.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    OP, if I were you I'd get the CCNP prior to going for the CCIP. The CCNP provides more of the core fundamentals needed to understand and implement large routed networks. The CCIP is more of a "specialty skillset" to supplement the CCNP.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Paul Boz wrote:
    OP, if I were you I'd get the CCNP prior to going for the CCIP. The CCNP provides more of the core fundamentals needed to understand and implement large routed networks. The CCIP is more of a "specialty skillset" to supplement the CCNP.

I definitely agree with this statement, I wouldn't start wading too deep into the specialty-fields until you've got the "core" networking exams under your belt. Besides, CCIP shares an exam or two with CCNP, so you're partially on your way if you've got the CCNP done. I think the reason you're seeing stuff, like voice and more security material, on the new CCNP exams that are covered by other certs, like CCIP, CCSP, etc, is probably for the very reason that CCNP is considered to be a foundation for all of them, covering mainly routing and switching and "a little bit of everything else". Just like you'd learn primarily security with CCSP, but also a little bit of CCNP-level routing and switching.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    This is extremely evident with the new CCDA and CCDP certifications. The BCMSN is suggested material for the CCDA now, and the CCDP shares two of its three exams with the CCNP. Cisco is really making the CCNP their "core" certification, in the sense that it's got bleedover from pretty much every other cert they offer.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□

I have a training contracts with several ISPs and all they want is CCIP, they don't even touch CCNP they are not interested in topics like LAN switching and wireless. For the core routing topics the CCNP and CCIP both require the BSCI course. It all comes down to what you like to do and what type career you want. One is not a prerequisite to the other.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    I agree with dtlokee, specially because the reason I want to do the CCIP is because it is so much related to what I'm dealing with here at work so I want to get the cert plus know more about what I do. As far as the CCNP goes I'll probably still do it but I want to make the IP my main priority for now.
    INE v4 volume 1
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    This is def an old thread but I just wanted to comment that I recently found out about the IP and i'm all for it. I'm in the provider side of stuff and all my griping about the CCNA/NP has been justified by finding the IP which is WAY MORE focused on what I already do. Thank you TE!
  • Options
    dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    A note of caution to the above poster, have a look at the new IP syllabus - CCNA Service provider and CCNP Service provider. It requires knowledge with IOS-XR icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    dredlord wrote: »
    A note of caution to the above poster, have a look at the new IP syllabus - CCNA Service provider and CCNP Service provider. It requires knowledge with IOS-XR icon_sad.gif

The Service Provider OPs is a different certification track from CCIP icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    drkat wrote: »
    This is def an old thread but I just wanted to comment that I recently found out about the IP and i'm all for it. I'm in the provider side of stuff and all my griping about the CCNA/NP has been justified by finding the IP which is WAY MORE focused on what I already do. Thank you TE!

I work on a BGP/MPLS SP Network and I still find immense value in the core CCNP track. Granted it is geared towards the Enterprise side of life, but I have found the information to be incredibly useful for day to day operations in the SP world. SPs exist to connect the enterprise and the individual end user, so if you understand the way their networks work, it will aid you in design as well as operation as an SP Engineer. Another added benefit is the ability to recognize which problems belong to you and which problems belong to the customer when troubleshooting - If you're carrying EIGRP for a customer in an MPLS L3VPN and they have issues, it's harder to tell the customer the problem exists solely in their domain if you don't have the first clue how EIGRP works.

A competent SP Engineer will tell the customer: "It's not our network...check the routers in your network"
    A great SP Enginer will tell the customer "During a brief packet capture, We noticed a number of EIGRP adjacency issues between your CE router and the PE router...please verify your CE config"

Granted, most SP Engineers are not in the business of troubleshooting customer's networks, but if you have the skill set to quickly resolve an issue (or a least point them in the right direction) for an enterprise customer that would otherwise devolve into a finger pointing match, then you've saved your company money and improved the relationship with a customer. Bonus points for you!
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...