Options

Old or new test?

embodierembodier Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my first time posting on these forums. Great site.

I have spent a lot of time reading others posts and looking at the many notes that can be found on this site.

I am working as a PC tech/Network guy for a medical school in the Caribbean. I am leaving the job in a few weeks to move back to the US. I want to get a cert under my belt before I start sending out resumes.

I have studied a little for the A+ off and on. This weekend I am really cramming for the tests. I have plans on taking both this week on the same day icon_confused.gif

My question is this...should I take the old test or go ahead and do the new tests? I have only studied for the older test. I have noticed that you don't need as high a score with the new tests. I have over 4 years in the field but feel I will struggle with the tests because of questions like "Where do you find such and such setting in windows NT?" I am a good trouble shooter in the real world and have seen a lot but the tests focus on things that I never use...or so it seems.

any thoughts?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was curious about that myself. I asked a couple teachers, the testing center and various forums and I was assured that the changes are minimal. Im taking both the os/core before wednesday, the deadline of the 2003 objectives, just to be on the safe side. I was told only a couple of XP questions would be added and not to sweat it. :D
    It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.
  • Options
    embodierembodier Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am thinking along the same lines LETHALAI. I have been cramming for this all day and will do the same all day tomorrow. I work on computers every day but some of the practice tests, such as the ones on this site, have really kicked my butt. I have no problem understanding things its just hard to remember so many things that I dont see on a day to day basis.
  • Options
    LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol the practice tests on this site made me 2nd guess myself too. They seemed slightly harder than the rest, which is a good thing because it made me study harder. :D I build computers on the side and I dont really see the old processors and I dont really deal with a lot of things that are on the test due to Plug and Play. The material is slightly outdated and I really doubt I'll be installing anything slower than a P2 anytime soon. But I gotta do what I gotta do and read up on simms and 286 processors and get this cert outta the way. icon_wink.gif
    It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    The only things that I can really recommend are to 1. Not to cram, make sure you feel comfortable with the material covered in the test and don't rush yourself. Paying out upwards of $225 and failing is a really bad feeling then having to pay it out again is no fun at all. 2. Practice as much hands on as possible, try to find yourself some older os's to play with. 3. Take as many practice tests as you can get your hands on. They'll help you learn the material, that may not be in the books you are studying.