Entry level IT security jobs

Just fishing for some info.

What types of positions would be considered enty level in world of IT security ?

Does a person have to be a network administrator oe network engineer in order to be effective
in IT security?

More questions to come later.. just doing some fishing for info

Thanx in advance

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    RATTLERMAN wrote:
    Just fishing for some info.

What types of positions would be considered enty level in world of IT security ?

Does a person have to be a network administrator oe network engineer in order to be effective
    in IT security?

More questions to come later.. just doing some fishing for info

Thanx in advance

Most titles would read something like "Security Technician" or "Entry Level Security Professional"
    It really depends on the company. These positions would normally start with something like watching packets, analyzing packets (basic level), then proceed to more advanced packet analysis, then maybe to configuring equipment/software etc.

Having strong knowledge of at least one major Network OS and Infrastructure is pretty much a requirement to get serious consideration. You certainly can't secure a system if you have no idea how it works. Nmap uses different OS implementations of the IP stack to identify which OS is running on a target. Trying to secure a system to "fool" Nmap and other scanners like that is impossible if you can't tell the difference between how Solaris and Windows stacks and utilizes TCP/IP.
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    thanx for the info

just been searching the job boards and it dawned on me there wasnt any defined entry level jobs

i guess like with everything else you have to find your niche in it security
  • emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have just got a position as an IT Security Officer. I got the interview based on my CCNA studies and showing an interest in security. I got the job based on enthusiasm and some basic infosec knowledge.

Jon
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    emsrescue wrote:
    I have just got a position as an IT Security Officer. I got the interview based on my CCNA studies and showing an interest in security. I got the job based on enthusiasm and some basic infosec knowledge.

Jon

That is cool! Congratulations!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    emsrescue wrote:

Jon

Good for you. It's always exciting when you land something that "gets your foot in the door"
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • VRSRVRSR Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone help me suggest the best and fool proof skill set I need to acquire to enter infosec world. I have CCNA R&S and preparing for CISSP certification.

After getting CISSP cert what role or position I should target, considering no prior exp other than knowledge I gained with CISSP

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Step #1: not resurrecting 10 year old threads. The "Post New Thread" button is your friend. Also, last count I did we have around 5,368,945 "How to get into InfoSec" threads.