A few questions from a newbie

saxodansaxodan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, have been reading on here for a while and reading on the internet. Currently I have just finished a BTEC in computing (2 years at college) and have a part time IT support job, I would like to top this up with the comptia A+ before I attend uni in September!

Now one question, when is the last date I can take the 2003 exam?? Is it worth rushing and doing that one? Or studying towards the 2006 exams and taking the exam around September time!

Now, I have 3 options-

1. A two week course will be running at my college with a teacher I know well, he is not the best but knows his stuff.. this will cost £325 including the exam and will be taken before August so its the old 2003 exams.

2. Get a book, study in my own time and take the new 2006 exams before uni, making it more relaxed and easier, and cheaper!

3. Do it with an online company although I have heard bad reposrts about this and they dont seem to be organised and after my money!

Number one sounds like a sound option, but I dont want to be out of work for two weeks and £325 is a couple of weeks wages, with going to uni it will be costly and I need to save!

Also- out of the new criteria, I understand you have to do the essentails and one other.. I will probably do 220-602 to be an IT Tech, but what is a Depot tech????

CompTIA A+ Essentials 100

220-602 (IT Technician) 90

220-603 (Remote Support Technician) 90

220-604 (Depot Technician) 90

Thanks for the advice!

Dan

Comments

• 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi there and welcome to the forums, as far as i am aware the 2003 objectives are retired in the uk on the 31st june. and as for your study material i recommend a book such as the mike meyers all-in-one, these books more than cover the objectives, and are far cheaper than an intensive course, plus you can work at your own pace. i would begin by downloading the objectives from the comptia site, thats just my opinion.
    let us know what you decide :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    There isnt day 31st in June, icon_cool.gif ..but indeed A+ 2003 objectives will be retired on June 30th, aka. the last day of June.

You can probably do it if you have already been studying...but if you are just starting to think about it..I would just focus on the new materials...you will learn more icon_wink.gif

check this for information about the different "roles" in A+.

ps. I didnt realize they up the passing mark for 2006...

good luck with your studies!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    apologies for the friday afternoon thick moment icon_redface.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops