which should be the first things first

tangkero06tangkero06 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
greetings! just wanna ask anyone for some recommendations on what i should take up first: an A+ or MCDST certification. as for my working experience, i have only gained a year on IT, in computer troubleshooting and repair. thanks for the help!

Comments

• blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    The A+ exam is very broad. It covers a lot of different topics. Some topics are in-depth. Others are just briefly mentioned. It is also what is referred to as "vendor neutral." That means the A+ exam also covers topics from different companies, not just one.

The MCDST is created by Microsoft, so it only covers topics relating to Microsoft products. I would also guess that it goes into less detail about hardware technologies, and more into Microsoft-affiliated software and customer support.

I suggest going with the A+. I felt like a complete computer ignoramous before studying for that class. I didn't know RAM from ROM. That exam gave me a great baseline to build my I.T. knowledge from. Quite frankly, the three entry-level certificates from CompTIA (A+, Net+, and Security+) are all very general, broad knowledge-builders.

By the way, go with materials for the 2006 edition of the A+ exam. They are retiring the 2003 edition for most people at the end of this month, so unless you can complete the two required exams (Core and OS) by then, don't bother even thinking of attempting to finsish the 2003 exam.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would take both. A+ first and then MCDST next.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Complete them both this month.

Choice and order is really up to you.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?