Options

CCNA - ICNP Progress Report

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Alright, welp. I thought I would do a quick little progress report. More for me, than you guys. But hey, comments are welcomed.

Boston Sim - Ran all 15 ICND labs provided, and can reproduce them without any notes.

Personal Projects -
Got 3 routers communicating distributing routes (no sim for this, but I felt I had better)
Set up mac security on my switches

Cisco Press -
I finished Cisco Press' ICND book and get 100% on every "do I know this already" and chapter end quiz. I ran all 41 sim provided and I know NAT and routing protocols like the back of my hand. Still seems like I mess on up on the ISDN sims. So I am hoping to play with that a little more in through tomorrow on the actual routers.

Sybex -
I completed the Sybex CCNA book, did every written lab and review questions. I did mainly in the high 80% low 90%. But after having reread the corresponding sections and seen the questions, I get a 100% across the board.

Ran through the Sybex flash cards, and get a solid 100% on those.

Did the four pre-exams provided in the Sybex book and both times go in the high 80% on the first two and low 90s on the second two.

Then I went the Cisco secition of this site, and run through the exams there. Both the commands and the general test. Both were 83's%.

Ouch.

I think I only did bad on the main test, as it had a lot of dated Novell material on there. But the command test, I expected to do better on, since the material is more modern.

I can't remember ever reading that you can, or should need to turn on anything with split horizon on or off. Or anything to do with load balancing on IGRP and EIGRP. So I going to go off and read about those right now. Clearly I missed something in both those areas.

Man... depressed now...
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    widjerdwidjerd Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the netacademy covers those topics, i guess with books they miss a couple of subjects.

RIP can link balance too.
  • Options
    flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel, you're depressed?? Then I'm confused, a little worried too. I think you and I are at about the same level right now. I also have been taking the Sybex and some online tests recently, doing about as good as you, not getting perfect scores on everything, but close.
    From reading your post I thought you were gonna end with how close you were to being ready to test, but rather you stated you're depressed. I was in the mindset that I'd be all ready to test as soon as I return to the States next month, now you got me worried.
    Am I missing something? You need an 849 (78.5%) to pass the CCNA. Doesn't getting 90% or better on practice tests mean you should be ready for the real exam?
    Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.
  • Options
    haha, sorry half sarcasm there. sorry didn't come across the way I intended. Nah, I figure I just need a few more labs and to finish off these videos and I should be good to go. I was hoping to be ready by Wednesday, but gonna fall just short of that. So I'll probably schedule it for two weeks from Wednesday should be good to go then. If anything I'll start forgetting things by then, so I need to hammer it in.

Coming back from Iraq? You get anytime to study over there?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    for the icnd make sure u make a perfect score and makes sure u know wut the questions is taking about if u dont know look it up and read the whole chapter until u get it, so when u go to take the test u wont be suprise... :D really i fail it once
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • Options
    flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Coming back from Iraq? You get anytime to study over there?

I try to get in as much study time as I can. Anyone who has been in the military knows about "hurry up and wait." I keep my CCNA index cards with me at all times. I usually have time to study them for a little in between convoy briefs and stuff. Also when I'm working in the Comm tents I usually pull 12-16 hour shifts. If not too much insanity is going on I'll pull up the Sybex PDF and/or log into this site and see whats new. I don't really have the time to set up and do the labs, plus I don't think Uncle Sam would be too happy if I tore down his network out here to practice routing protocols. I get my share of hands on time on the switches though, mostly troubleshooting VLANs. It's good though because it's not practicing, it's real world experience on a real network.
    Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.
  • Options
    michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    It pisses me off!!!! What ever happened to the easy days of Comptia Tests! LOL

(Still frustrated after failing)
  • Options
    How'd you do on the test?

to me
    A+ was about trivia. No complicated concepts
    Net+ was about concepts, and less trivia.
    CCNA seems to be a mix.
    -Daniel