Options

Adding ports to vlan on a client switch

fid500fid500 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am doing a lab on Boson. I am trying to add ports to vlan10 on client switches. Everytime I console to the client switch and add the ports they dont seem to appear in my vlans. The only ports that show up is the ones that I added on the server switch. I made the client switch a server switch just to add a port, but that didnt work either.

Can anyone put some light on this or direct me to a site for adding ports to vlans on client switches?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From what I have read about VTP, you should have no problems assigning vlans to ports on a client switch. VTP should send out information on VLAN creation, deletion, and renaming. I don't think VTP will automatically assign ports to VLANS on client switches. That would not be very flexible if all switches had to have the same VLAN port assignments.

I think that is a bug in Boson. Boson is pretty buggy when it comes to switching. Especially VTP and frame-relay.

VTP does, however, send information about which switches have ports assigned to certain VLANS for pruning purposes, but it does not replicate port assigments. So VTP doesn't care about exactly which ports are assigned to certain VLANS, just as long as it knows which VLANS are being used on some port. It needs to know this information so it can prune L2 broadcasts.

So lets say a frame comes in a trunk port on a switch, and it is a FFFF.FFFF.FFFF frame tagged for VLAN10. If VTP pruning is enabled in the domain, then I think the VTP status data will be checked. If VTP says there are no VLAN10 ports on this switch, then it will prune or discard the broadcast frame.

Moreover, you should have to manually assign the ports on a client switch.

This is what I have read in the CCNA books, so there could be exceptions to the rule.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
    mmmmmmm buggy boson

I got lots of headaches working on it

why don't you try the Packet Tracer?

i haven't test it yet but some people have told me that it's a good sim