Options

Processor Comparison?

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hi guys,

We are currently looking at buying a new terminal server and just want to know a little about a processor comparrison if anyone has dealt with them. Our supplier has recommended something we have not yet tried and we are a little hesitant. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This is the e-mail that was sent to me;

Hi,

As I suspected, the 50xx Xeons have the Netburst architecture which is slow compared to the core 2 of the 3xxx Xeons. Pricing is similar, the barebone about $500 more.

The other option is the 51xx Xeons which are faster but none of my suppliers have stock so I didn't bother pricing that one. Also the quad cores are coming out, which are the 52xx series but they're a fair bit more expensive, even the slowest models, stock is not yet available.

I'm very much inclined to recommend going with one of the 3xxx series because they're very efficient, run much cooler than the previous models, and will offer excellent performance. Also, since the price will be reduced to $4065.60 all up for the server, it means you can get a new one sooner :)

What are your thoughts? If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks we should be able to do the 51xx Xeons but the price will go over the $5k mark.

Kind Regards,

AS you can see he is recommending the 3xxx series but we have not tried them so i just want some feedback. From the information you can see what do you think is our best cause of action. Remembering this is for a terminal server so multi-proecessing is of importance.

Thanks in advance

P.S - The quotes are for aussie dollars so please dont freak out :D

Comments

• Options
    jvaxjvax Member Posts: 117
    We've been using the 30xx series for our terminal servers and they're nice. Depending on the number of remote users you're planning to serve, I'd say go for the 32xx quads which combine 2 30xx into one processor.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin