Options

Difference between dynamic updates and Secure

straightflopstraightflop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Alright I am trying to figure this out with a bit more detail.

I know that you must have an AD intregrated Zone to have Secure Dynamic updates. That's fine

my questions is what is the difference - if you had to explain it to someone - between Secure Dynamic updates and Dynamic updates?

"Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it"

Comments

• Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In a nutshell, in secure dynamic updates, the DNS server will only update if the sender of the information is authenticated. In dynamic updates, authentication is not performed.

[EDIT]: In other words, if the client is attempting to update information for which it is not the owner of, secure dynamic updates will prevent this.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    straightflopstraightflop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok that makes since. Thanks
    "Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it"
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    and by authenticated he means that, the machine doing the updating is joined to the domain and is updating its own record. One of the main reasons that people use secure and non-secure updates is if they have both a active-directory portion of their network and a workgroup portion where machines are not joined to the domain. Some people believe this increases security, personally I think it just makes managing the workgroup side a complete cluster.