Options

Who's scared of IPv6?

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
I guess they say when you dont know its scary. I have heard alot of persons say that once IPv6 come around full force they will leave networking..lol...Some say they just hope it never comes. I say bring it on!!

What are your views/attitude towards version 6 and how prepared are you for it??

Put in to perspective:

ipv4 loopback: 127.0.0.1
ipv6 loopback: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 compressed ::1
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Just like every advance in the I.T. world, it can be viewed two ways to each individual. A change will either simply require some adjustment and/or retraining, or it will cause them untold grief to the point where they can't understand it.

IPv6 is a necessary update to the IP addressing scheme. And, quite frankly, I find it to be simplistic. Sure, the insane number of hex digits will take some getting used to, but all-in-all it's a good system. The potential for billions of addresses should solve the world's problems with address shortages for decades. Not to mention the fact that hopefully IPv6 addresses are being carefully assigned, and not wasting whole networks on big corporations like IPv4 was.

I see great potential for IPv6. As for myself, I'm not even worrying about it for the time being. Whenever it catches on large-scale, or I get a job that requires knowledge of v6, I will learn how it operates. Until then, let it develop.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    kenny504 wrote:
    I guess they say when you dont know its scary. I have heard alot of persons say that once IPv6 come around full force they will leave networking..lol...Some say they just hope it never comes. I say bring it on!!

What are your views/attitude towards version 6 and how prepared are you for it??

Put in to perspective:

ipv4 loopback: 127.0.0.1
    ipv6 loopback: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 compressed ::1

Well, if people are planning on getting out of IT because of this....just makes more openings for those who are not afraid of a little work and training.

FWIW, I cannot recall hearing anyone say they're quitting because of this....doesn't make sense. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    personally, i can't wait to start learning IPv6. Should be good opportunities for IT people when the masses start to switch over.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I see a future of lots of contract work for us guys and girls to replace the mess that is ipv4. Communications over data (VoIP) will be a major driving force in infrastructure replacement, lets get ready.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Pash wrote:
    I see a future of lots of contract work for us guys and girls to replace the mess that is ipv4. Communications over data (VoIP) will be a major driving force in infrastructure replacement, lets get ready.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685