Options

Network+ 2007 at Pearson?

mikebergmikeberg Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone else know about this?

Just tried to sign up for N+ 2005, Pearson/VUE told me that I can only sign up for N+ 2007 now, N+ 2005 is dead.

Can anyone tell me what the f(%* happened here? I cannot see any changes on the CompTIA website, and no stidy guides for the 2007 test - anywhere.

Have I just entered the twilight zone?

Michael Berg
Cert-less for now

Comments

• Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    mikeberg wrote:
    Does anyone else know about this?

Just tried to sign up for N+ 2005, Pearson/VUE told me that I can only sign up for N+ 2007 now, N+ 2005 is dead.

Can anyone tell me what the f(%* happened here? I cannot see any changes on the CompTIA website, and no stidy guides for the 2007 test - anywhere.

Have I just entered the twilight zone?

Michael Berg
    Cert-less for now
    I am not sure where they got that information from. I do not see any information on the Network+ 2007. Tell them you want exam N10-003.

Edit:

I see what you are talking about.
    n2007ka3.jpg

I think someone at PearsonVUE is smoking the good stuff.

Edit 2:

Apparently I wrote it! icon_rolleyes.gif

n2007passks6.jpg
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    This apparently happened, via e-mail to Pearson/VUE today.

I was trying to schedule my test for tomorrow, and they said I could take the test but it would be the N+ 2007 version.

I have looked everywhere for a study guide or a book that covers the N+ 2007 objective to no effect.

Have some faith here, I was primed and tested and ready to ace the N+ 2005, but now I am screwed.

Really pissed me off, bought my voucher from Cert4Less, and Hakmad Makbad there refused to refund my money after he sold me a 2005 voucher. These guys are slippery, COMPTia has zero info about this change, and I feel like Paris Hilton in a Compton Jail right now.

Someone hug me.

Michael Berg
  • Options
    Someone help me out here, am I just over-reacting? Is the N+ 2007 just the 2005 with a new year on it?

Anyone else take this cert lately and have it show up as 2007 when you expected 2005?

Still needing a hug.

Michael Berg
  • Options
    mikeberg wrote:
    This apparently happened, via e-mail to Pearson/VUE today.

I was trying to schedule my test for tomorrow, and they said I could take the test but it would be the N+ 2007 version.

I have looked everywhere for a study guide or a book that covers the N+ 2007 objective to no effect.

Have some faith here, I was primed and tested and ready to ace the N+ 2005, but now I am screwed.

Really pissed me off, bought my voucher from Cert4Less, and Hakmad Makbad there refused to refund my money after he sold me a 2005 voucher. These guys are slippery, COMPTia has zero info about this change, and I feel like Paris Hilton in a Compton Jail right now.

Someone hug me.

Michael Berg
    Michael,

I would still try to use the voucher. The exam code is still N10-003. I mean, if the exam I wrote on 2 May was the 2007th version, I think you will be fine.
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Just found this on CompTIA's Web site.

http://certification.comptia.org/network/glancebox.aspx

Note the important part at the bottom:

Current English Exam Codes: CompTIA Network+ Exam 2005: N10-003

I don't know how Pearson updates their material on their end, but when I recently took the 2003 A+ with Thompson, they still had A+ 2003 listed. It might just be a goof within Pearson. I wouldn't worry about it. Actually, I'm glad to have cleared this up now. I'm currently studying for the 2005 Net+ as well!
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    2005 is the current exam objectives.

N10-003 as previously stated is correct.

Likely a mis-type by someone, but if you truly have a concern get on the phone in the morning and contact the CompTIA and the exam center.

and your commentary about GetCertify4less is really not warranted icon_sad.gif

I understand you are upset, but you are not screwed and they are not bad...stop the name calling and read disclaimers before you purchase things in the future.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    DarkflameDarkflame Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I booked my exam the other day and took it today and i had no idea it was for 2007, all my preparation was based on 2005, i barely passed, there was so much more new content and questions, some questions i completely guessed as they we're completely new.

I guess i'm just lucky, but a pass is a pass and i'm just happy i didn't have to study the new content for the 2007 just to take this exam as my voucher expired today!

Darkflame
  • Options
    Darkflame wrote:
    I booked my exam the other day and took it today and i had no idea it was for 2007, all my preparation was based on 2005, i barely passed, there was so much more new content and questions, some questions i completely guessed as they we're completely new.

I guess i'm just lucky, but a pass is a pass and i'm just happy i didn't have to study the new content for the 2007 just to take this exam as my voucher expired today!

Darkflame

First, congratulations on your pass! :D

There was a lot of new information on the exam and most of the times, we find ourselves learning a couple of things from the exam questions. However, there has been no official release from CompTIA regarding the exam update from 2005.
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darkflame wrote:

Darkflame

Define new content ?
    If you look at the Exam Objectives do you notice anything in there not listed that you saw on the test? I'm not asking for specific questions just general content. I don't want you to run afoul of the NDA agreement.
    As an example I am using a-lot of different materials to study for this test. One or two books does not cover the entire test. I am coming across alot of stuff like ( Linux/Unix,Mac OS X, Novell Netware, Blue Tooth Wireless) not listed in my two main study guides.

As others have said, If it's not listed on the Comptia website we are all still taking N10-003 until it's official on their website
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    IMHO, if there was to be an update it would show on comptia's website...and here's is what their page lists...

CompTIA Network+ Exam Objectives
    -CompTIA 2005 Network+ Exam Objectives
    -Changes from 2001 to 2005 Network Objectives

Sorry to say it I wouldn't believe it if the company who created the certification doesn't even list this exam or mention it....just my 2 cents
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    IMHO, if there was to be an update it would show on comptia's website...and here's is what their page lists...

Sorry to say it I wouldn't believe it if the company who created the certification doesn't even list this exam or mention it....just my 2 cents

I assure you, it is definitely a new exam. The only questions that were similar was ones based on the OSI layer, wireless, bluetooth, there was more than one question on Mesh topology's, there was also a good many questions on troubleshooting and what would cause interference with a wireless signal.

Come to think of it, there was not a single A+ question in the whole exam which is quite a surprise!

Oooo, there was quite a few questions on Router / switch collision leds and why a blinking collision led might occur.

Sorry i can't remember more, but i simply wizzed through the 85 questions in half an hour so it's all a blur.

Kind regards

Darkflame
  • Options
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    Darkflame wrote:

Darkflame

Define new content ?
    If you look at the Exam Objectives do you notice anything in there not listed that you saw on the test? I'm not asking for specific questions just general content. I don't want you to run afoul of the NDA agreement.
    As an example I am using a-lot of different materials to study for this test. One or two books does not cover the entire test. I am coming across alot of stuff like ( Linux/Unix,Mac OS X, Novell Netware, Blue Tooth Wireless) not listed in my two main study guides.

As others have said, If it's not listed on the Comptia website we are all still taking N10-003 until it's official on their website

Could you give me a link on the current exam objectives?

Darkflame
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    Admist this confusion....my suggestion would be
    1) call up comptia supoort.
    2) try registering with thompson prometric exam center and see if they have the 2005 exam with them....
    best of luck
  • Options
    Darkflame wrote:
    shednik wrote:

I assure you, it is definitely a new exam. The only questions that were similar was ones based on the OSI layer, wireless, bluetooth, there was more than one question on Mesh topology's, there was also a good many questions on troubleshooting and what would cause interference with a wireless signal.

Come to think of it, there was not a single A+ question in the whole exam which is quite a surprise!

Oooo, there was quite a few questions on Router / switch collision leds and why a blinking collision led might occur.

Sorry i can't remember more, but i simply wizzed through the 85 questions in half an hour so it's all a blur.

Kind regards

Darkflame
    I assure you that the exam is not new. You must understand that there is a massive pool of questions that can be on the exam. You may have had a lot of questions that seemed like new information. I did not find a single A+ question on the exam either - A+ also has a massive pool of questions and you are taking the Network+ certification. ;)

Download the objectives from here - http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx (You have to fill out the form).
  • Options
    matradley wrote:
    Darkflame wrote:
    shednik wrote:

Kind regards

Darkflame
    I assure you that the exam is not new. You must understand that there is a massive pool of questions that can be on the exam. You may have had a lot of questions that seemed like new information. I did not find a single A+ question on the exam either - A+ also has a massive pool of questions and you are taking the Network+ certification. ;)

Download the objectives from here - http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx (You have to fill out the form).

Not to argue but what's the point of giving the exam a yearly date and updating the questions to to be relevent to today's technology if it isn't "new"?

Surely new questions regarding new technologies and completely taking out A+ questions in an exam that is now known to share both the A+ and N+ side of things would make this 2007 exam new?

Or are you saying that the questions get randomly picked from a pool of thousands with each exam that's taken?

Thanks for the link btw. But can anyone who has registered for them just copy and paste them here, can't be bothered to input my details for something so trivial.

Kind regards

Darkflame
  • Options
    darkflame wrote:
    Not to argue but what's the point of giving the exam a yearly date and updating the questions to to be relevent to today's technology if it isn't "new"?

Surely new questions regarding new technologies and completely taking out A+ questions in an exam that is now known to share both the A+ and N+ side of things would make this 2007 exam new?

Or are you saying that the questions get randomly picked from a pool of thousands with each exam that's taken?

I and several others have already answered this for you...the current objectives are N10-003, period.

Of course there is a pool of questions and everyone who takes the exam has a unique set of questions.

CompTIA has never divulged more information then this and your insistence that the exam you took was 'NEW' is insane.

Just about every vendor has the ability to place questions on your exam that are BETA questions and they don't score those...this is another reason NO ONE knows with certainty HOW an exam is scored and the point range is between 100-900 points for CompTIA exams.

Move on.

Thanks for the link btw. But can anyone who has registered for them just copy and paste them here, can't be bothered to input my details for something so trivial.

Kind regards

Darkflame

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

If you cannot complete the information to obtain the free link from CompTIA, you will not find it here and if it is posted by a member for you for this reason you may both find yourself out of here.

And shame on you for not downloading them BEFORE your exam.

"so trivial"....... icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darkflame wrote:
    but can anyone who has registered for them just copy and paste them here, can't be bothered to input my details for something so trivial.

If it's so trivial then don't worry about it. If you can't input your name and email to download them yourself after someone else was trying to be helpful by providing you the link then why have the gall to ask someone else to "be bothered"? icon_rolleyes.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Well i read completely through a few N+ (2005) books and watched CBT Nuggets on the N+ (2005) series and there was a few questions in the exam that this content didn't even touch, so if that isn't "new" content, i don't know what is.

Sorry but i believe the exam is new and has more objectives than the 2005, or they wouldn't of bothered to change the year on the exam.

As for signing up for simply objectives that could just be posted on a website in html format, i think it is trivial and a waste of my time.

Sorry!

Good luck with anyone who attempts the N+ 2007 as i warn you, there is NEW content!
  • Options
    In that case, I have already passed the N+ 2007 objectives while preparing for the 2005 with a mark of 825. I know another guy, recently, had 900 within a week after I passed.
  • Options
    Darkflame wrote:
    Well i read completely through a few N+ (2005) books and watched CBT Nuggets on the N+ (2005) series and there was a few questions in the exam that this content didn't even touch, so if that isn't "new" content, i don't know what is.

Sorry but i believe the exam is new and has more objectives than the 2005, or they wouldn't of bothered to change the year on the exam.

Read my previous post. Vendors insert BETA questions.

Darkflame wrote:
    As for signing up for simply objectives that could just be posted on a website in html format, i think it is trivial and a waste of my time.

Sorry!

It cannot be posted...it's copyright protected. And for something you continue to say is so trivial....you've WASTED OUR TIME
    Darkflame wrote:
    Good luck with anyone who attempts the N+ 2007 as i warn you, there is NEW content!

The N10-003 objectives are the current objectives. There is no need for a warning to members. You do not have your facts correct. Not all questions are scored and the method used for scoring or not-scoring questions is only known by the exam vendor...read my previous post....or for that matter read this one. The vendors have always slipped in questions potential future questions and they use this for various measures possibly to see where the 'typical' candidates knowledge base is, the level of new technologies known by the candidate, or test the wording of future scored questions. Regardless, BETA questions are not counted against you.

AGAIN, Shame on you for not downloading the objectives PRIOR to your exam and wasting our time telling us how 'trivial' this all is for you while you continue to demand you are correct. Your facts are incorrect. Move along. This discussion is dead and is now over.

No MORE.
    icon_evil.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    tomtechtomtech Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There isn't a new exam. I got my Network+ back in April. I logged into VUE a few min ago and looked at my exam history. It was renamed 2007 instead of 2005.

The questions people mentioned are most likely beta questions. If there WAS a new revision of the exam, CompTIA would have announced it on their website. The exam code would also have changed.

Stop the conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    dude i don't know whats goin' on wit dat if u can find a sol u tell me dat 'cause i email the comptia about this but thy hav'nt replyd nd i have buy mi voucher soon so i don't if i will c the same thing whl am tryin' to reg 4 N+ 2005
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Here is what I found after taking the test last friday (Passed it - YEAH BABY!), and speaking with COMPTia this morning.

I have no idea if the questions are new - or are void of A+ questions because this was my first test. But I can tell you that after studying using my Thompson Network Plus Exam prep, there were no test questions in my prep that were in the actual test - making me VERY nervous that I was going to fail my first attempt at this. In the end it didnt matter since I passed.

COMPTia was contacted this morning, and they told me the test has NOT changed, only the title! Their reason was to make it easier for anyone to determine WHEN the test was taken, not the year of the objectives (2005 in this case).

So that clears it up for me, I passed, and its all good.

Still could use a hug though, any pretty asian females out there?

Michael
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikeberg wrote:
    But I can tell you that after studying using my Thompson Network Plus Exam prep, there were no test questions in my prep that were in the actual test
    There's not supposed to be. They are only supposed to teach you the subject matter posted in the objectives. If the book actually had the same questions that were on the exam, then that would make it a **** and hence copyright infringement. But if you mean they didn't have any questions on what the book covered, then that's bad.

mikeberg wrote:
    COMPTia was contacted this morning, and they told me the test has NOT changed, only the title! Their reason was to make it easier for anyone to determine WHEN the test was taken, not the year of the objectives (2005 in this case).

So that clears it up for me, I passed, and its all good.
    Thanks for the info! Congrats on passing. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    WillisWillis Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What a stressful post. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    AnserkAnserk Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Going to take the test in a couple of weeks. Here is what I just found on CompTIA website:
    Question
    Which objectives are tested on CompTIA Network+ 2007 edition?
    Answer
    The CompTIA Network+ 2007 edition tests to the CompTIA Network+ 2005 objectives. The 2007 edition includes updated test questions, but the objectives and exam preparation materials are still valid.

Sorry, I can't provide direct link but you can find the info under CompTIA FAQ here http://certification.comptia.org/customer_service
  • Options
    Anserk wrote:
    Going to take the test in a couple of weeks. Here is what I just found on CompTIA website:
    Question
    Answer
    The CompTIA Network+ 2007 edition tests to the CompTIA Network+ 2005 objectives. The 2007 edition includes updated test questions, but the objectives and exam preparation materials are still valid.

Sorry, I can't provide direct link but you can find the info under CompTIA FAQ here http://certification.comptia.org/customer_service
    Darn CompTIA and their witty ways. icon_eek.gif

I wonder what they mean by "updated questions"?
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Anserk wrote:
    Question
    Answer

That's interesting. I'm assuming that "updating" the questions on the exams without altering the objectives is the work of CompTIA then? I wonder how many other exams they do this for (if any) besides Net+... As I said, I just passed my A+ exam (2003 obj., through Thompson) about two months ago, and it was still listed as A+ 2003.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Refreshing the exam pool is obviously a good thing for the certification you want to get, and something CompTIA should do more often. At some point the questions themselves become old and are 'shared' too often. Not only on ****/**** sites but too many bad writers/publishers focus too much on the exam content rather than on the exam topics.

On a similar note: the Network+ TechNotes are written/updated specifically for the N10-003 objectives, which are covered on the Network+ 2007 exam. The same thing applies to the good books, CBTs, and practice exams, so if you bought legit study material you don't need to worry.
  • Options
    I wish CompTIA would make this a bit more public though. Regardless, I suppose I wrote the exam with updated questions - it did not seem much different from what was discussed in the books I had read.