Options

Connecting to a Network Printer with Vista Ultimate

BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
Okay, here's my problem:

I'm trying to setup my Vista Ultimate machine to connect to a shared printer (that is connected directly to my XP Home PC). When I attempt to add a network printer, I receive an error "Access Denied". I checked all firewall settings, they allow Printer sharing (on both my XP and Vista machines), the printer is shared, I verified I'm using the correct network path, etc. Also, my laptop (also XP) is able to connect to the shared printer just fine.

So, I did what anybody would do, and googled the problem. Seems that this is a known issue when connecting a Vista PC to use a printer that is shared on an XP machine. The only solution I could find is to install the driver locally on my Vista machine, and add the printer as a local port (and then specify the network path to "trick" Vista). However, this solution does not work for me (appears it works for others, though).

Anyone see this before, and have any other ideas? It's not absolutely necessary I connect to this printer, but it's one of those things that drives you nuts because you can't figure it out.
MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried connecting to it as Administrator?
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've also heard of people having trouble with shared printers in Vista if UAC is turned off.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I was using an admin account.

After some more monkeying around, I was able to get it to work. I needed to restart my XP machine, and then everything was working. Also, there is no current Vista driver for my HP printer, so I needed to find a compatible driver (with limited features).

Just an FYI in case anybody ever runs into this problem:
    http://www.kevinyank.com/blog/archives/connect-to-a-network-printer-on-a-windows-xp-server-in-windows-vista

I've been setting up my new system all night...this has been the only problem with Vista all night. Everything else has been great. I love my 22" widescreen monitor...SO much better than my old 17" CRT. I have Vista Ultimate, and downloaded the DreamScene addon, which is pretty cool. Just getting used to Vista now, as this was my first time ever using it. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)