Options

Well Known Ports.

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ive been typing and writing these port numbers for the last few weeks and wanted to see if there was anyone who thinks I should add something to the list or do you think I have it covered. This is more then is what is on the 2005 objectives.
By the way I just discovered today from Wikipedia these ports

1,NNTPS: when clients have to connect to a news server that is using SSL the port changes from 119 (default ) to
TCP 563-NNTPS

2. 636/TCP,UDP LDAP over SSL (encrypted transmission, also known as LDAPS)

The next few really threw me for a loop because so far in my reading I have not seen TLS/SSL listed for these ports but it makes sense that they exist.

989/TCP,UDP FTP Protocol (data) over TLS/SSL
990/TCP,UDP FTP Protocol (control) over TLS/SSL
992/TCP,UDP Telnet protocol over TLS/SSL Official
993/TCP IMAP4 over SSL (encrypted transmission)
995/TCP POP3 over SSL (encrypted transmission)

Here is the current list I have been typing out. Make any suggestions please!
PORT 2O FTP DATA
PORT 21 FTP CONTROL
PORT 22 SSH
PORT 23 TELNET
PORT 25 SMTP
PORT 53 DNS
PORT 69 TFTP
PORT 79 FINGER
PORT 80 HTTP
PORT 88 KERBEROS
PORT 110 POP 3
PORT 119 NNTP
PORT 123 NTP
PORT 137 NETBIOS NAME SERVICE
PORT 138 NETBIOS DATAGRAM SERVICE
PORT 139 NETBIOS SESSION SERVICE
PORT 143 IMAP
PORT 161 SNMP
PORT 389 LDAP
PORT 443 HTTPS
PORT 1701 L2TP
PORT 1723 PPTP
PORT 3389 RDP
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    netx_techexnetx_techex Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Almost all of the most important ports for the Net+ certification are on your list. But the DHCP ports are missing. UDP 68: discover / request (client) // UDP 67: offer /ack (server)

Check the IANA list to find some more ports: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

I'm pretty sure that all above pptp (1723) will not be asked by compTIA.
    ...currently working as a web developer using PHP, MySQL & JavaScript - what the hell did I get all those shiny certs hanging on my wall for?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your list plus DHCP mentioned by netx_techex should be very accurate and complete. However, I would add one more that I think is important and may show up in the test:

snmptrap 162/tcp

Also you might need to remember whether it is TCP or UDP. For example, the normal DNS queries are UDP 53 and NTP also uses UDP.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Your list plus DHCP mentioned by netx_techex should be very accurate and complete. However, I would add one more that I think is important and may show up in the test:

snmptrap 162/tcp

Also you might need to remember whether it is TCP or UDP. For example, the normal DNS queries are UDP 53 and NTP also uses UDP.

I would think the Technotes would specify TCP/UDP if nessesary? On all the pratice exams I have taken note of the well known port questions have asked for TCP/UDP But as a Network plus Tech I should know this so I will re-do my list to include TCP/UDP
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    Do I have to know each ports TCP/UDP designation?
    It's not whether a 'port' is TCP/UPD, you should know (learn/understand) whether the protocol that uses the port uses TCP/UDP. And 'that' is in my TechNotes, for example:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/tcpipsuite.shtml
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    Do I have to know each ports TCP/UDP designation?
    It's not whether a 'port' is TCP/UPD, you should know (learn/understand) whether the protocol that uses the port uses TCP/UDP. And 'that' is in my TechNotes, for example:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/tcpipsuite.shtml

I feel foolish but I noticed that lastnight right after I e-mailed you. Thanks for the response.
    I plan to re-do my list anyway, Correctly this time.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You're welcome. Writing down the list should help you retain the information yourself too.