Options

Boson Netsim LE inside Cisco Press CCNA books

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
I've heard ppl in this forum say they can pass the certification just with this, but the first time I tried the software out today It wouldnt even let me set an ip address for the router, without giving that message: this feature requires an upgrade. So my question is those who have said they have passed the CCNA with just the LE version of the netsim with the book or who have upgraded their copy that came with the book?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About 5 years ago I ran into the exact same issue, and it made me so mad (because I HATE nagware) that I wrote a nasty email to bosun about it.

To my great surprize I got an email back almost immediately from one of the lead developers. I expected either no response or a marketing/sales weenie to reply about how I could buy the upgrade.

Anyway, he was obviously a bit hurt by my negative comments and replied somewhat defensively, but not to the point of being rude. So we exchanged a few emails (a bit more diplomatically since we weren't really "anonymous" anymore) and I explained why I was disappointed in the software and explained I would much rather just have the option grayed out rather than expect to be able to do something only to have an unexpected popup nagging me to buy the full version. It ended well, with him giving me a free unlock code to upgrade my LE to the full version, which I thought was very nice.

However, I still absolutely dislike the LE version and refuse to use it. Like I said, I hate nagware.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    *double take*

So you ended up with a free copy of Boston? Nice.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    if you dont want to use the unlock code can you please PM it to me? :D
    I really need to get famililar with router ISO's using full cmds, b/c i just recently got a job at a NOC and i work with routers everyday but am ashamed i dont know really anything. So i'm starting my CCNA training to prove to them i can work with routers and not just some windows guy! only problem is I have not that much dough, i used most of what i had to buy the INTRO and ICND cisco press books that came with that netsim software.

I almost brought down all of western europe yesterday using the loopback cmd did Network instead of Local... ooops icon_eek.gif

Thanks

win2k4
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:
    *double take*

So you ended up with a free copy of Boston? Nice.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.
    win2k4 wrote:
    if you dont want to use the unlock code can you please PM it to me? :D
    I wish I still had it. I'm 2 or 3 computers past the one I installed it on, and since I didn't reinstall it (because I had passed my CCNA by then) I have no idea what I did with the unlock code. I think I may have only had it in an email, which probably was accidentally deleted at some point.
    win2k4 wrote:
    I almost brought down all of western europe yesterday using the loopback cmd
    Ouch! icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.