Options

Security certifications...

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
hello there.

I am very interested in getting some security certifications. What's the best practice and the best route to start off my security career?

I currently work as a computer tech / network admin. I'm just looking for more of a wider range of computer knowledge.

Cheers,
Jamie
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    I think your best bet is go for Security +. It covers a broad area of security. This will definitely help you see exactly what you want to do in the security field.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking.

Security+ and then move on to something a little more challenging.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Security+ is probably the most popular starting point right now. It's also probably the most recognized as far as entry level security certifications. This does not by any means say that it is the best.
  • Options
    Excellent,

I appreciate your replies. On the road to study for Security+!
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    iotaiota Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, what's Next?

Some certifications like CISSP do need proofs of Experiences.

I'd like to know entry-level certifications that should be or better be taken in order.

Thank you.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    CEH requires 2 years of security related experience (seems primarily for if you are going the self-study route, however it mentions they do verify experience when scheduling training as well)as per the information found by clicking here. If you read over all of the information you will notice that they can waive this requirement based upon your work history and educational background.

By the way, the loading tags under your list of certifications brought a nice smile to my face when I first saw them.