Options

Question on Sybex book

renilcerymrenilcerym Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am planning on taking the Network+ test in a few weeks I am using the Sybex deluxe edition study guide, ExamForce Cram Master CD, and the technotes book from this site. I had a few questions about the sybex book. I was wondering if anyone has used the practice exams on the sybex book and how similar they are the the real test? will there be drag and drop questions on the actual test?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I found the book helpful enough. I never cracked the CD on the book, but the content of the book in addition to the objectives was plenty...though I had worked with the components for a few years prior to the exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    The main reason I ask is because I have taken two of the four exams on the cd and I end up scoring in the mid 80's. It also scores me on the objectives too. I think the main thing that throws me off is the drag and drop questions that are on these tests. I think a lot of the drag and drop questions are faulty. Its questions like those that make me wonder if I am fully prepared for the test yet.

I don't have as much experience in networking as I would like. I'm currently the lead computer technician for the local school district so I do have some network experience but they leave the bigger problems to the network admin and engineers. I figured getting this cert would help me get more experience, gain a little more respect, and give me the potential for a higher position in the IT department at the school district. I don't know if anyone around here knows how school districts are but most of them like to underpay their employees so I'm hoping my certs I get this summer will qualify me for a raise as well. Wishful thinking but trying to stay optimistic.

My wife and I are expecting a baby in 6 months so I'm trying to do all I can.
  • Options
    renilcerym wrote:
    .... I figured getting this cert would help me get more experience, gain a little more respect, and give me the potential for a higher position in the IT department at the school district.

Well, not to burst your bubble, but certifications won't give you experience and respect is earned by performance not credentials.

So I do hope you are pursing the certifications for other reasons that are a bit more solid. Certs can 'measure' your level of knowledge on a topic at a specific point in time. They can help show a persons willingness to continue to improve their knowledge by always reading/studying material related to their job and potential future job roles. But they won't give you experience nor respect.

I don't know if anyone around here knows how school districts are but most of them like to underpay their employees so I'm hoping my certs I get this summer will qualify me for a raise as well. Wishful thinking but trying to stay optimistic.

My wife and I are expecting a baby in 6 months so I'm trying to do all I can.

It's not about being underpaid, but more of lack of resources. The money comes from the local tax pool, so if a millage doesn't get passed or the funding isn't specifically worded to cover labor...then the funds are required to go where they are specified for in the budget as well as the tax plan.

It's good to be optimistic, but you'll probably find more benefit from finding and initiating ways of saving the district money and continue to work hard. You've undertaken one of the more challenging employment avenues due to the severely fixed resources. A corporation (for Profit as opposed to non-profit such as a school district) can more readily flex their budget based on current sales. Non-profits must carefully mark funds and spend exactly those funds throughout the year. If a grant becomes available...then you/they gain some flexibility. Perhaps look into some technology grants and learn about applying for grants public and private...the process is challenging, but once you master it you can generate a bunch of resources for your department and therefore make yourself more 'valuable' to your organization.

Congratulations on the baby! Kids are great!!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Well, not to burst your bubble, but certifications won't give you experience and respect is earned by performance not credentials.

Well I didn't actually mean it that way. It's just that sometimes I feel like my supervisor has doubt in me and wont really let me get my hands too dirty in the networking part of the job. So I'm just hoping this cert will also give them some proof that I do know what I'm talking about when I'm trying to help. So really I'm hoping it will open the door for me and and maybe they will let me work a little more on the network - thus giving me more experience. I've got a lot of respect working here as a computer technician (It's just me and I take care of 6 different campuses plus the admin buildings and what not) but I've been here for two years and working on computers all the time gets a little boring. I feel like I'm ready to step into the networking field.
  • Options
    renilcerym wrote:

Well I didn't actually mean it that way. It's just that sometimes I feel like my supervisor has doubt in me and wont really let me get my hands too dirty in the networking part of the job. So I'm just hoping this cert will also give them some proof that I do know what I'm talking about when I'm trying to help. So really I'm hoping it will open the door for me and and maybe they will let me work a little more on the network - thus giving me more experience. I've got a lot of respect working here as a computer technician (It's just me and I take care of 6 different campuses plus the admin buildings and what not) but I've been here for two years and working on computers all the time gets a little boring. I feel like I'm ready to step into the networking field.

Fair enough.

Though if you don't feel you're getting a 'fair' chance a cert won't fix the problem.

Go for cert anyway, but don't make that your motivation.

1. Dress for success
    2. Speak and write professionally at all times...if you are already doing 1 & 2...continue ;)
    3. Ask for additional assignments
    4. Possibly find your replacement so you can take on more assignments (this could work against you too...but if you are 'stuck' you need to try something.
    5. It may be time to test to waters in a new environment...quit (after finding a new job) and move forward...sometimes promotion from within doesn't work out so well.
    Plantwiz
    _____