I am a newbie..

KishoreKumarKishoreKumar Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi.. every one.

I am a complete newbie.
I am from a rural place in india.
net browsing is my hobby.
during which i found about cisco certifications.
so, i also got interest and decided give CCNA & CCNP.

I decided before passing my BTECH i should be a CCNP.(i am in 3rd year now. 2 more years to go)

but i have few doubts???

1. does this CCNA & CCNP certifications are that valuable??
I am very much afraid of examination fee for these exams.
150$ for CCNA.
800$ (200*4) for CCNP.
total 950$ which is 5 months full salary of my dad.
first thing is some how i have to make money for these exams. and for extra money for study material.
my point is we are investing so much just to give exam. is cisco certifications that valuable???
what salary can i expect if i am a CCNP(no other certifications)???

2. I have gone through this forum. in many posts i noticed that even a CCNP is a an expert in just ROUTERS & SWITCHES.(hubs,etc..etc..).
after so much of preparation and hardships and investment. just we'll be an expert in few hardware devices!!!!
does any company offer me a good job??

3. among me and my friends i decided to write exam even after so many hurdles for me. but can any one say how will i be different from my friends who will be earning very good(40,000 - 50,000 rs per month)???

Comments

• -prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll go for question number two :)

Just remember you will be learning A LOT of theory about the networking field, not just how to use the Cisco CLI. This theory knowledge will give you a very strong base for other non-cisco hardware.

In regards to job prospects, the cert may get you through the door, although, to back up your cert with real knowledge and the ability to show it will get you the job.

Cisco is the number one network certification provider, you won't be sorry.

Cheers and good luck,
    -prophet-
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey man,

That question is going to be very hard for anyone to answer because I don't think very many people on this forum are from India. There are probably some. But generally speaking, in America, the IT industry is booming and CCNP's are very valuable. I believe that the IT industry is growing all throughout the world. With a bachelor degree in an IT related program and a CCNP, you can easily make 40K starting out( In america). With 3 to 4 years of good experience, you can be in the range of 55-65K....But this all depends and this can vary.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    Well If i were you i would spend some time going over Job ADs in India see the demand for networking profesionals. These ADs will provide valuable information as to what the returns on your investment will be. Thow always keep in mind that investing in your education is worth every penny as this will make you a more competent person.