Upgrading to Server 2008

Mr.BobsterMr.Bobster Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
I just have a question about the upgrades,

Upgrading from MCSE 2003

MCSE 2003 to MCITP: Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator (4 Exams) -
70-649 (Upgrade) + 70-620 (Vista) or 70-624 (Deploying and Maintaining Vista and 2007 Office System Desktops) + 70-646 (IT Pro: Server Administrator) + 70-647 (IT Pro: Enterprise Administrator)

Does that mean in my case, seeing I've just done the upgrade 70-621, would that cover the 70-620 requirement? I mean, it doesnt explicitly say "TS Vista Config". This is the first upgrade exam I've taken so Im not too sure about these upgrades.

Thanks
Jason

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hm, did you mean to reply to my post since your question directly relates to my other post? Probably should have done so anyways to help consolidate related topics. Anyways, according to the requirements, 70-621 is not an exam that goes towards any of the MCTS/MCITP certifications for Server 2008. Like the requirements state, you need 70-620 or 70-624.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Mr.BobsterMr.Bobster Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I did mean to reply to your post, but somehow I didnt, (blaming this on IE at the moment).

Im still not too sure sorry, it says 620 or 624, and since I didnt do 620 (because I did the 621 upgrade which gives me the certification of TS Vista Config) that would mean I have to either do 620 or 624?

Hopefully, they'll get the Certification Planner loaded with stuff on Server 2008, that would help alot but probably still take a while.

Thanks
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Yep, that means that you have to do the 70-620. The MCTS: Vista, that is combined with the MCITP: EST is only valid for the MCITP: EST cert.
    NinjaBoy wrote:
    Yep, that means that you have to do the 70-620. The MCTS: Vista, that is combined with the MCITP: EST is only valid for the MCITP: EST cert.

In that case, might I add "DOH!!"
    Maybe I'll go for 624 instead.

Thanks for clarifying it up.
    Looks like I'm going to have to use my free voucher (from the beta exams) to do the 70-620, I want the MCITP: EA 2k8 (via the upgrade path).

-ken
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may want to watch the webcast, I believe they said 621 would count towards the 620 requirement.

From Trika's blog:
    I'm MCSE and MCDST certified, doing my MCDST to MCITP: Enterprise Support upgrade exam in 2 weeks. Will I still have to to the 70-620 vista exam? Answered: if you pass 621... you cover your 620 requirement, yes!
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    ajs1976 wrote:
    You may want to watch the webcast, I believe they said 621 would count towards the 620 requirement.

From Trika's blog:
    I'm MCSE and MCDST certified, doing my MCDST to MCITP: Enterprise Support upgrade exam in 2 weeks. Will I still have to to the 70-620 vista exam? Answered: if you pass 621... you cover your 620 requirement, yes!

I see, that helps alot, assuming that MCSA is also covered when they said MCSE. There seems to be still plenty of time to the 2008 exams get released so I might worry about this later on in the year.

Thanks

PS. As for the voucher, the free ones do come in very handy and sadly it was put to use today. Good thing there had been MS people on campus as they gave it out as part of the "Launch 2007" thing. Now if only I may scab some more hehe...
    ajs1976 wrote:

From Trika's blog:

Yes, but the MCTS: Vista requirement is only valid for the MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech (if you do the 70-621 exam), if you need the 70-620 for anything else (eg MCITP: EA/SA 2kicon_cool.gif then you need to do that exam. See the vid off trika's site (it's just short of an hour).

-Ken
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did watch the vid. What I posted from Trika's site was a printed out FAQ from the webcast.

Also as of the webcast there is no client requirement for the MCITP:SA, only for the MCITP:EA.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Hi
    Yes that web meeting actually helped alot :)
    Thank you
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I feel microsoft should fix the bugs in vista before they require me to get certified in it...

Besides, none of my clients will be installing it in the next year anyways.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
    Most annoying and well known bug is the slow Vista to Vista network file transfers. Hopefully that will be fixed in SP1.
    royal wrote:
    Most annoying and well known bug is the slow Vista to Vista network file transfers. Hopefully that will be fixed in SP1.
    Yea, basically, I think that Vista to XP/Server 2003 is really slow.

Ive got gigabit ethernet and to be honest, it peaks has sustained xfer rates of 80MBits and Peaks at 110Mbits, my other computer does the transfer alot faster able to use about 400+MBits.

Not too sure about this but windows calendar keeps crashing after startup (I only used to to study for 70621 and since i use Outlook for calendar, I just disable it in Group Policy)
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    So I guess my little XP proffesional test I passed doesn't mean squat now...Damn! Are A+ & Network + and Security+ still used as electives? I was going to do Security + and then do the MCSE but I don't know now...I may just do CCDA instead
    So I guess my little XP proffesional test I passed doesn't mean squat now

If you learned anything during your studies for 70-270, then I would say it was well worth getting your 70-270. I don't think 70-620 will be all that hard to do now, especially since people are saying it's a pretty easy exam.
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I wish to upgrade from MCSE 2003 to MCITP Ent Admin. I have received an email from M$oft indicating 40% discount on the upgrade exam(due to early registration i think). Is this just the 70-649?? I assume I need to do 70-647 as well, does anybody know is M$ is giving the discount on this exam
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
    SWM wrote:
    I wish to upgrade from MCSE 2003 to MCITP Ent Admin. I have received an email from M$oft indicating 40% discount on the upgrade exam(due to early registration i think). Is this just the 70-649?? I assume I need to do 70-647 as well, does anybody know is M$ is giving the discount on this exam

Too late for the discount:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23826
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    thanks for the quick reply. I have allready registered :D , but was not sure if the discount was only on the one upgrade exam or on all that I need to do.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
    SWM wrote:
    thanks for the quick reply. I have allready registered :D , but was not sure if the discount was only on the one upgrade exam or on all that I need to do.

Well it's advertised as for the upgrade. The upgrade only entails going for the MCTS exams. The 70-620 is completely separate from anything related to the upgrade as well as the MCITP. They're completely separate cert tracks.