Toronto IT Jobs!!!!!!!!!

huddahudda Member Posts: 101
Hay, group I am start frustratinggggggggggg here I am in Toronto almost one month looking a jobs as System engineer or sys admin, even helpdesk no one even bother calling me for interview. Help please what can I do, I have profile in workpolis.com and in monster.com, every day I keep applying different companies nothing come up any advise for me or who is hiring any one knows plzzzzzzzzzzz icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Thank you
Hudda

Comments

• moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hudda do you hold a degree of any sort ? I am sad by hearing your comment well keep searching its not easy

Keep your head up soldier
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hope thats not a trend over in Toronto. I am looking (possibly) at making a move over there sometime next year for a while.

I gather Toronto is the best place to go for IT work in Canada.
  • denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think one month is still too early to complain. Just be focus and, surely you will get something soonest.... icon_idea.gificon_idea.gificon_idea.gificon_idea.gificon_idea.gif
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    I would look over your resume if I were you. Make sure that it's formatted correctly and is detailed in what you do. Also you need to see what the culture of the Market is in toronto. For example, when I lived in New York, the only work I could get was contracting, now that I'm in DC they look down on contractors and say that I was job hopping. I had to cut my resume down so that it looks appealing to them. Check over the simple things like your address and phone number. Make sure there aren't any characters mistyped. Try detailing everything. I'll show you my format.

Header (Name address numbers)

Education (I have college and all cert classes taken)

IT Skills (This is where you list every single app OS and any other technology you know. I have mine broken down to Operating Systems, Server Skills, and Network Skills. If it's an area that you don't know but you are studying I would put it down with a disclaimer saying that it's class or lab experience. For instance Cisco Networking is new to me, so I put down "Cisco Skills (Lab Experience) then I put down (work Experience) By doing that your being up front that your still a beginner in those topics and have more of a surface type knowledge. Also Be very specific and detailed because if a company is looking for someone with heat or remedy and you don't have that down, they may pass you by. Also spell everything out. Instead of Putting down MS word, say "Microsoft" word. I had a headhunter tell me a long time ago that they use key word searches on resumes and recruiters aren't technical so they may not use the abbreviations we use)

Experience (I wouldn't put down a gig I did for a week or a month, make sure anything here is 3 months or more. If you have jobs less than a year that were contract I would put down contract next to it, so they didn't think you were job hopping.

Now some people have a reference section or something that says "references: furnished upon request) I don't have that on my resume, but I do have a seperate reference document with the same header as my resume that if someone wants I can send.

Also don't get discouraged. Send out resumes day and night (I'm sure your doing that already!) My brother is a CIO and has been out of work for over a year. The higher you get (on the corporate ladder) the less jobs there are. There are social networking sites like Linked In which are actually Real Networking sites unlike Myspace which is a "I'm in your town on business lets hook up while i'm here site"

Keep your head up, something will come your way
  • huddahudda Member Posts: 101
    moss12 wrote:
    Hudda do you hold a degree of any sort ? I am sad by hearing your comment well keep searching its not easy

I have 3 years college Diploma, 2 year pc tech, and MCSE, MCSA, Comptia Security+ I have seen so many ad when you apply nothing happen, I think it is luck of connection that is why i am yelling here...............icon_rolleyes.gif
    moss12 wrote:

I have 3 years college Diploma, in System Network Technology, 2 year pc tech, and MCSE, MCSA, Comptia Security+ i have worked as system admin and help desk.
    I have seen so many ad when you apply nothing happened, I think it is luck of connection that is why i am yelling here...............icon_rolleyes.gif

Hudda
    I would look over your resume if I were you. Make sure that it's formatted correctly and is detailed in what you do. Also you need to see what the culture of the Market is in toronto. For example, when I lived in New York, the only work I could get was contracting, now that I'm in DC they look down on contractors and say that I was job hopping. I had to cut my resume down so that it looks appealing to them. Check over the simple things like your address and phone number. Make sure there aren't any characters mistyped. Try detailing everything. I'll show you my format.

Header (Name address numbers)

Education (I have college and all cert classes taken)

IT Skills (This is where you list every single app OS and any other technology you know. I have mine broken down to Operating Systems, Server Skills, and Network Skills. If it's an area that you don't know but you are studying I would put it down with a disclaimer saying that it's class or lab experience. For instance Cisco Networking is new to me, so I put down "Cisco Skills (Lab Experience) then I put down (work Experience) By doing that your being up front that your still a beginner in those topics and have more of a surface type knowledge. Also Be very specific and detailed because if a company is looking for someone with heat or remedy and you don't have that down, they may pass you by. Also spell everything out. Instead of Putting down MS word, say "Microsoft" word. I had a headhunter tell me a long time ago that they use key word searches on resumes and recruiters aren't technical so they may not use the abbreviations we use)

Experience (I wouldn't put down a gig I did for a week or a month, make sure anything here is 3 months or more. If you have jobs less than a year that were contract I would put down contract next to it, so they didn't think you were job hopping.

Now some people have a reference section or something that says "references: furnished upon request) I don't have that on my resume, but I do have a seperate reference document with the same header as my resume that if someone wants I can send.

Also don't get discouraged. Send out resumes day and night (I'm sure your doing that already!) My brother is a CIO and has been out of work for over a year. The higher you get (on the corporate ladder) the less jobs there are. There are social networking sites like Linked In which are actually Real Networking sites unlike Myspace which is a "I'm in your town on business lets hook up while i'm here site"

Keep your head up, something will come your way

So sweat michael_knight!!!!!
    :D
    I appreciate your time to explain in detail; to be honest with you had done so much on my resume. I have many professional people reviewed it, I went to the unemployment center, and check it over and over and print it in pdf, file that looks more professional. If you do not mind I would love to send it you, if you have comment you will let me know.
    I love this forum, really super! There are wonderful, and helpful people all over the place it connecting each other.

Once again appreciate your precious time Michael.

Hudda
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    You haven't answered an Important question employers are looking far :)

How many years of experience do you have and in which area?

So post the answer.

Second, unless you desperately need to pay bill, you need on average three months to land a good job. In other words, don't jump onto any ship that comes by. Down in the middle of the sea, you may regret boarding it icon_wink.gif
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    strauchr wrote:
    I hope thats not a trend over in Toronto. I am looking (possibly) at making a move over there sometime next year for a while.

A lot of IT companies are based in Vancouver as well.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    strauchr wrote:

Umm, not too sure about that. I thought most jobs are in Alberta nowadays!!!! Those giant gas and oil pipes could use some IT innovation :)
  • nangananga Member Posts: 201
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    strauchr wrote:

I should clarify that my main experience is within Finance and Insurance companies so I tend to stick with the finance capitals and I gather thats Toronto.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Have you tried using your college's career website/posting board?

Toronto is still a prime location for many types of jobs in Canada in general. Our population, dynamics of the businesses, city infrastructure. Also, we're still on the wave of real estate spikes and many people are reaping the benefits, if you are having difficulties, it's probably because of your resume, or the places you are applying to.

Toronto IT jobs are so overflowing that it's been said that internet postings are outdated in an average span of 30 hours. If you're applying to jobs that are 2 days "old", they probably have way more than enough candidates to pick from already. When I started my job searching 8 months ago, I would only apply to jobs that was posted the day of, and I changed at least one thing on my resume everytime I applied to a different job.

Job searching IS a job, focus your objective in this "job" to your target job, think of what are the possibilities, and direct your efforts accordingly. Believe it or not, newspaper is STILL a good place to look, at least for ideas. Also, dont just focus on IT companies, with a general computing background, you have skills that are needed in virtually every company. Also try

eluta.ca

good luck. Toronto loves you. icon_wink.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Job searching IS a job, focus your objective in this "job" to your target job, think of what are the possibilities, and direct your efforts accordingly. Believe it or not, newspaper is STILL a good place to look, at least for ideas.

You 're right !!
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    binarysoul wrote:
    strauchr wrote:

Umm, not too sure about that. I thought most jobs are in Alberta nowadays!!!! Those giant gas and oil pipes could use some IT innovation :)

Business Objects, EA, Redback Networks, Apple, Telus, PMC Sierra, are just a handful of companies with offices in Vancouver who regularly scoop up co-op students from Waterloo. From my experience, if you're not working in T dot, you're in VanCity.

I actually had an interview for Shell in Alberta, but got turned down...I guess it's all for the best though because who really wants to work in Alberta anyways? haha
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
    I thank you very much each and every one of you for your feedback, helping me how I can get job, work on my resume, brows some of the site, and all that stuff.
    I felt so much better by sharing my situation and reading your feed back awesome people I appreciate your precious time.

Hudda
    :D
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Good place to look for IT jobs in different cities in CANADA.

http://www.sisystems.com/
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    binarysoul wrote:
    You haven't answered an Important question employers are looking far :)

How many years of experience do you have and in which area?

So post the answer.

Second, unless you desperately need to pay bill, you need on average three months to land a good job. In other words, don't jump onto any ship that comes by. Down in the middle of the sea, you may regret boarding it icon_wink.gif

I have to respectfully disagree with Binary soul. Three months sitting at home playing X-Box while my financial reserves are dwindling is too much for me. You can always contract until you land a permanent job. Contractors know anyway that the people they hire can leave at any time. I once had a company pay me $40/hr for a $25/hr job just because they wanted the techs to stay on for the long run. When you contract you get no vacation and no benefits so the way I see it is you better pimp them before they pimp you, because I have seen contractors let go, because some middle management douche just didn't like the way they looked
    Hay everyone I got interview in a few places, finally I decide to get in to IT Support Level II job for IBM still though agency they said after such and such time, it will be permanent so I am hoping it will be a good start, it may open my chance for other opportunities I will be working coming week I will update you......................

Thank you all
    hudda