Options

BIND-DNS

After having just finished the Exam Cram book, I got a little "conflicting" information. While all sources agree that BIND 8.1.2 support Dynamic Updates, the Exam Cram book basically states that it does not work well with Win2K and the issue was resolved with 8.2....

So, if by chance I end up with a scenario that uses 8.1.2 and asks about Dynamic Updates, how shall I go about it?

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I looked through two books that I have.

Windows 2000 Server Architecture and Planning by Coriolis says that both 8.2 and 8.1.2 support SRV records and DDNS. 8.2 also supports incremental zone transfers.

To make things more confusing the Passport for 216, lists that version 8.2.1 is required. That may be a typo.

It has been a couple of years since I studied for 217/219, but I believe 8.1.2 would be the right answer, but I would try to find some more sources.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Cool, thanks!

Now that you mention it, I didn't even really think about digging out my 216/217 books and double checking them. I will do that.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think one difference between 8.1 and 8.2 was the fast zone transfer support due to 8.1 not supporting compression.... Not positive though, just tossing it out there.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I think one difference between 8.1 and 8.2 was the fast zone transfer support due to 8.1 not supporting compression.... Not positive though, just tossing it out there.

Right now I am at work so all my study guides for the 217 and 219 are at home, however I do keep plenty of study guides at my desk as good reference materials, and I happen to have a Syngress 70-216 study guide here. I flipped through it and found a table with the different DNS servers and features.

According to this guide, the only difference between 8.1.2 and 8.2 is Incremental Transfer support. All sources so far, including the Exam cram that you so kindly gave me, points out that 8.1.2 does in fact support Dynamic updates.

The only issue is that the Exam Cram does say that there was a bug in the 8.1.2 that caused Dynamic Updates from 2000 clients to not work properly and it was corrected in 8.2.... I'll have to re-read that when I get home to make sure I am saying this correctly.

I have not seen this referenced in any other source so far.... So my conclusion is that in an exam setting the answer is probably going to be that Dynamic Updates are supported with 8.1.2 and higher.

BTW, I did finish reading the Exam Cram you sent to me last night, excellent book, Thank you. The only thing I have not done in the book yet are the 6 Practice Case Studies in the back of the book. I plan on doing those tonight... They look like they will be very helpful because of how they are broken down by objective.
  • Options
    OK.... So I went home on my lunch hour and checked out the Exam Cram book again....

I was mistaken about it being 8.1.2, they have it printed as 8.2.1 that has the problem with Dynamic Updates and 8.2.2 is the one that has the fix fro the Dynamic update.

What is interesting is that Technet shows 8.1.2 as having Dynamic Update Support.... So I check with my Sybex book that was also at home.... It had said that Dynamic updates were supported in BIND 8.X and that Microsoft recommended 8.2.1. The Syngress 219 study guide does not even touch on the subject... At least not that I have seen.

Anyway, I think I will instead refer to the following link.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/0fe0c60c-ab2a-415d-acc1-09c38860b0181033.mspx?mfr=true