Options

New to board

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all I am new to this board and I have a couple of questions.
I am about to sit for my Network plus test here in June. Once I am done I want to begin to study for my Linux + Certification. I have PCLinuxOS and Sabayon Linux installed on my main box and am looking for some good study material. I am also pondering spending $1,300 to take a Linux Plus course at DCCC and am curious if any of you took college courses to pass the Linux test or choose the self study path.

Any information would be helpful.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Quickly glancing at the reviews at amazon.com this books seems to be good for the exam.

http://www.amazon.com/Linux%2B-2005-Depth-Jason-Eckert/dp/1592007287/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-2538995-8734468?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182431410&sr=1-2
    I am also pondering spending $1,300 to take a Linux Plus course at DCCC and am curious if any of you took college courses to pass the Linux test or choose the self study path.

I would recommend doing self study for the Linux+ exam. Unless the company you work for is going to pay the $1,300 for the course you could get a book and download a couple of distros for a fraction of the cost and generally be able to learn the same amount. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    I am also pondering spending $1,300 to take a Linux Plus course at DCCC and am curious if any of you took college courses to pass the Linux test or choose the self study path.

I did both. As part of the Associates degree, I had to take a Unix administration class. The instructor used Linux and a text book that also covered the Linux+ objectives. After the class I used the text book and the Sybex book to prep for the exam.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DO NOT pay for that course. You don't need to.

What you need to do is download and install Linux. Then use it. That's about it really.