Options

70-298 MS Press Readiness Review Suite. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

GeddonGeddon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently running through the MeasureUp tests included on the CD with the MS Press 70-298 book. Now, it's not unusual to find incorrect solutions in these tests but generally I've found them to be pretty helpful, not in this case though.

Many of the answers on the 298 test are fundamentally wrong and if you use the tests as a revision aid they may well reduce your chance of passing the exam by leading you in the wrong direction. It is hard to believe that this test underwent any review before release, presumably anybody with an MCSA would have spotted the mistakes.

I've lost count of the number of answers that have stated, categorically, that security settings cannot be applied via group policy at any point lower than the domain (i.e. you can't apply them via group policy at the OU level). This contradicts the information in the book and on Microsofts own site. Certain parts of a security policy applied at OU level will be ignored in favour of the settings at domain level (e.g. password policy) but that doesn't mean all security settings are!

Another gem is that, according to the test, you cannot use GP to configure areas of the registry to audit. Oh really, well somebody should tell Microsoft then:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324739

Thanks MS Press, thanks MeasureUp!

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Geddon wrote:
    I am currently running through the MeasureUp tests included on the CD with the MS Press 70-298 book. Now, it's not unusual to find incorrect solutions in these tests but generally I've found them to be pretty helpful, not in this case though.

Many of the answers on the 298 test are fundamentally wrong and if you use the tests as a revision aid they may well reduce your chance of passing the exam by leading you in the wrong direction. It is hard to believe that this test underwent any review before release, presumably anybody with an MCSA would have spotted the mistakes.

I've lost count of the number of answers that have stated, categorically, that security settings cannot be applied via group policy at any point lower than the domain (i.e. you can't apply them via group policy at the OU level). This contradicts the information in the book and on Microsofts own site. Certain parts of a security policy applied at OU level will be ignored in favour of the settings at domain level (e.g. password policy) but that doesn't mean all security settings are!

Another gem is that, according to the test, you cannot use GP to configure areas of the registry to audit. Oh really, well somebody should tell Microsoft then:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324739

Thanks MS Press, thanks MeasureUp!

I did not use measure up for the 298, but are you sure these are not problems being caused by special situations in the Case Study? I found I got many questions wrong in my test prep because I over looked something in the case study that made the "correct" answer the wrong answer. For example the KB you quoted is Server 2k3 but might the case study's functional level be 2000? Just a thought.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I used the Measure UP Practice Exams for 70-298 and I don't recall any questions stating you couldn't apply Security settings at the OU level...there are certain settings like Password Policies that should be set at the Domain Level. My measure Up exams also had explanantions for each answer for why it is right or wrong, and also contained links to TechNet for further information regarding the topic the questions is referring to.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)