Options

Computer Science & Applied Science

richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
How does Applied Science compare to Computer Science?

In job postings, I've never seen someone asking for a degree in Applied Science. Would you be edible for a job looking for someone with a Computer Science degree with an Applied Science degree? Reason I ask is that's kind of what my local universities offer.

Comments

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Computer Science is a major

Applied Science on what object? There is Applied Matha, Applied BIO/CHEM, ... but not Applied Computer Science. OK

There are two different thing.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    A local university has the programs listed like this:

Associate of Applied Science Degrees

Administrative Technology - Executive Specialty(AAS)
    Administrative Technology - Medical Specialty(AAS)
    Computer Information Systems(AAS)
    Computer Networking Technology(AAS)
    Computer Support Technology(AAS)
    Information and Computer Security(AAS)
    Network Security(AAS)

WTH is Applied Science?

Job postings I was looking at want a Computer Science degree.. instead apparently the university offers whatever "Applied Science".

So.. whats Applied Science? icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Apparently I put in the perfect combination of words and Google finally came through ><..

Wiki Answers:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_an_Associates_in_Applied_Science_and_an_Associates_of_Science_degree

Seems like from the articles the only problem is that you can't always transfer the credits. Is that the only problem? Employers will accept an AAS when they're looking for "Computer Science or related field"?

Anyone have an opinion on AAS vs Associate Computer Science?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    "Applied Science" is an extremely vague term. It depends entirely on which school, which geographic location, and who you talk to.

In Canada alone, it could refer to AT LEAST the following:
    Science & Technology
    Engineering Science
    Theoretical Engineering
    Theoretical Science
    Health Sciences
    Physical Sciences
    Engineering Technology

The difference lies in the spectrum that "science" is defined to be. Some schools may consider engineering an "applied science" and math "pure science", where as another may consider chemistry a "pure science" and kinesiology an "applied science", while some others may consider a higher learning a "science" if it is research/course based, and it is "applied science" if it is lab/technical based.

The question about Computer Science/Information Technology/Information system, I will refer you to this page, which I quite agree with:

http://computingcareers.acm.org/?page_id=6
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Applied Science is usually an Associates degree two-year program at a local community college. A Computer Science degree is usually a Bachelors degree with 4 years of school at a university. An A.A.S. encompasses many degree tracks like richnewman stated.