Options

Different modes of Terminal Services ?

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wanted some clarity on the different modes of terminal services and the differences between the modes.??
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• Options
    gonediggingonediggin Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Remote Administration mode and Application Mode.

On server 2003 remote administration mode (Remote Desktop) is enabled by default. Except that you have to select "Enable remote desktop on this computer" in system properties, and specify a user other than the administrator. Also regular user accounts are not able to rdp into a Domain Controller because of the Default Domain Controller Security Policy.

Application mode is installed via Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Components, and is used to remotely run applications on the server and have the appearance of it running on your local workstation.
    This mode requires licensing, however I believe there is a 120 day grace period.

Somebody else may want to elaborate or correct me if i'm wrong.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gonediggin wrote:
    On server 2003 remote administration mode (Remote Desktop) is enabled by default. Except that you have to select "Enable remote desktop on this computer" in system properties, and specify a user other than the administrator. Also regular user accounts are not able to rdp into a Domain Controller because of the Default Domain Controller Security Policy.

I'd like to add to this.

Only Administrators are allowed to RDP into a Domain Controller by default.
    Administrators and users who are in the Remote Desktop Users group are allowed to RDP into all other machines by default.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks