Options

cable types

seanbseanb Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys do i need to know ethenet ,fast ethernet and wireless cable types and distance for the ccna exam 640-801.

Comments

• Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    Yes you should knwo this. It's very important that you do.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wireless cable types? hmmm

You should know the common facts about the Ethernet standards for 10/100/1000Mb/s such as distance and what not. Absolutely make sure you know when to use a crossover vs a straight through cable on Ethernet and you need a rollover cable for connecting a PC to the router console port.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    Wirless probably not so much but definatly know when to use whta type of a cable.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    seanb wrote:
    Hey guys do i need to know ethenet ,fast ethernet and wireless cable types and distance for the ccna exam 640-801.

Know your common I tripple E standards, deffintalty as dtlokee says know the differences between straight through & crossover when connecting different type devices or same devices. Coz im bored at work:-

Cross Over Cable:-

Host to Host (Peer 2 Peer)

Switch to Switch

Hub to Hub

Computer to routers Ethernet port

Cross over cable seems to connect "mirror" devices together yah? Well except the Host to router ethernet port. ill leave you to find out about that one.

Straight through cable:-

Host to switch

Host to hub

Switch to router

Seems to me that a straight through connect "different" devices together yup?

Serial Cable:-

Routers Serial Port to serial port

Unfortunately I don't get to pull and put back many of these currently, soon to change I hope.

Rollovercable:-

To connect to router/switch console port

If using a Terminal program connect PC COM port to routers console port using a rollover.

Yup, those little blue cables of greatness will provide hours of fun. You will probably wan't one of those db9 male to usb converters if you are a serious engineer!

Cheers and goodluck.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Pash wrote:
    Coz im bored at work:-

Switch to Switch

Hub to Hub

Cross over cable seems to connect "mirror" devices together yah? Well except the Host to router ethernet port. ill leave you to find out about that one.

Host to switch

Host to hub

Switch to router

Pash,

Since I was previously bored, here's a condensed version of your list which is an easier way to remember:
    If there's 1 OSI layer difference = straight through
    If there's a 0 or 2 OSI layer difference = crossover. :)
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    Coz im bored at work:-

Switch to Switch

Hub to Hub

Host to switch

Host to hub

Switch to router

Pash,

Since I was previously bored, here's a condensed version of your list which is an easier way to remember:
    If there's 1 OSI layer difference = straight through
    If there's a 0 or 2 OSI layer difference = crossover. :)

OK, that seems to summarize my points to two lines. If im honest I didnt look at it like that, I know I probably should of though icon_redface.gificon_wink.gif

Thanks!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.