Options

Should I look for a new job?

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
I have been a system administrator of a very small company (20 employees) for almost a year now. I rarely do anything all day except research new technologies online and any work i ask for or suggestions I make go unanswered or ignored. They seem to consider my position important, but not really vital to the company. Everyone is friendly and consider me a good worker, I was fresh out of getting an Associates in September in Computer Networking.

I get paid hourly and my total a year comes to just under $25,000. I still live at home because I can't even afford my own apartment. Plus, we don't get paid every two weeks, it's twice a month (15th and the end of every month). I can go almost three weeks sometimes between checks. I feel like I am not important and while I do have the opportunity to just sit and research all day I want more hands on experience.

I've been thinking of applying to some help desk positions (they actually pay more). My questions is what would you do? I don't have system administration experience in managing hundreds of computers, but I want to do something more and have work that will keep me busy. I'm a hard worker and can't stand it when there is nothing to do. Do you think this is a good decision?

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    IMO, given the situation, I think i would start looking for a position that not only pays more, but also allows you to have experience with a bigger user base.

The only downside is that you only have about 1 year in there, Building more experience is a plus and showing that you can be committed to working for a company for a number of years is a plus also. However, there is no harm in at least looking at other places.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would definitely look. I think your experience being the only guy in a small IT environment would translate well to a position in a consulting or network services firm, as you likely have broadened your skills to desktops as well as servers. I kind of started out "a mile wide but an inch deep" like that and after a couple years landed a Jr. Admin role with a corporation and finally my current position of Sr. Admin with a new company.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Are you studying for any particular certs in your free time?
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will wait until after 12 months...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn