Options

Passed Net+

eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
Hi Guys,

I just got home from the testing center and passed with 623, the exam was really tough, the questions were very large and trickies, got several Novell ( remote access to NDS ) never read about it, Wireless, and questions related with services and ports, few cables and MAC OS X.

My personal advise is be ready to read a lot in the questions, i counted only 9 simple questions, the rest i had to read and the clock never stopped (jaja).

I used sybex book and the technotes from this site.

Next will be A+, i been requested to do it, after i'll go to wireless track, wireless#, CWNA and CWSP.

Thanks for the technotes, very helpful.

Here in Canada is long weekend and i'll be out until monday, see you then guys.

Thanks for all the help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass!

I got hit with a few Novell questions too; as well as appletalk.

enjoy your long weekend! icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Congratulations! :D I had a couple friends who took the exam on Wednesday, June 29 that also had difficulties with the exam - so you are not alone.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Conratulations!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    elegua wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I just got home from the testing center and passed with 623, the exam was really tough, the questions were very large and trickies, got several Novell ( remote access to NDS ) never read about it, Wireless, and questions related with services and ports, few cables and MAC OS X.

My personal advise is be ready to read a lot in the questions, i counted only 9 simple questions, the rest i had to read and the clock never stopped (jaja).

I used sybex book and the technotes from this site.

Next will be A+, i been requested to do it, after i'll go to wireless track, wireless#, CWNA and CWSP.

Thanks for the technotes, very helpful.

Here in Canada is long weekend and i'll be out until monday, see you then guys.

Thanks for all the help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Another example of why I am hitting Unix/Linux,Mac OS X server and Novell hard.
    Anway, enjoy your weekend and congrats
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    supergeekhandGuysupergeekhandGuy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!

Those tricky Netware Novell and MAC questions are the ones I'm referring to when I say that the Network+ has a lot of questions that most books are not properly preparing anyone for! The remote stuff with NDS isn't covered in the objectives or in any preparation books.

I use Mike Meyers preparation materials, and this website, and most people who use the same things are barely passing with 550-600 scores; and these are the smart ones!

Has the test been made harder recently?
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!

Those tricky Netware Novell and MAC questions are the ones I'm referring to when I say that the Network+ has a lot of questions that most books are not properly preparing anyone for! The remote stuff with NDS isn't covered in the objectives or in any preparation books.

I use Mike Meyers preparation materials, and this website, and most people who use the same things are barely passing with 550-600 scores; and these are the smart ones!

Has the test been made harder recently?

I agree, But I have to tell you my Main Network Plus Book by Robert J. Shimonski does cover some of the Novell,Mac OS X server,Linux/Unix stuff in detail but not enough I think. That's why I have been making little charts and typing stuff out I think I should know. Its kind of hard to figure out what I should write down and study since most of my self test questions deal more with Microsoft or the OSI model. Still I am learning alot though.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    supergeekhandGuysupergeekhandGuy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What can you add to this? I'm trying to prepare my students for questions they might get on the Network+ and here is everything I have on NetWare. Do you have anything that can help add to this list?

NETWARE
    Novell NetWare started with the BINDERY (database) but moved to NDS (Novell Distributed Database) in version 4.11. They first supported IPX/SPX, but later moved to TCP/IP in version 5.0 and later.
    •Novell Netware versions 1 through 4.11 used IPX/SPX
    •Novell Netware versions 5 and up now use TCP/IP
    •Novell Netware versions 1 through 4.11 used BINDERY (database of users, objects)
    •Novell Netware version 4 (and up) started using NDS-Novell Distributed Database)

•If the Novell server is running IPX/SPX, then you must install NWLink on Windows clients
    •You must install CSNW (Client Services for NetWare) on Microsoft clients (NT, 2000) to help them connect to a Novell NetWare Server
    Note: If you install CSNW on a Microsoft client, then it will automatically add NWLink also

•With Windows XP, you can install Client32 software on XP clients instead
    •You must install FPNW (File and Print Services for NetWare) on Novell clients for them to talk to a Windows Server!
    •NFS (NetWare File System): So netware can pretend to be a Windows system
    •NDS (Novell Directory Service – similar to Active Directory in Windows)
    •NSS (Novell Storage Services): NetWare’s file systems
    •NDPS (Novell’s Distributed Print Service): Printing service.
    •Administrator Account: SUPERVISOR
    •Novell NetWare has great utilities like: Console One (create users, groups), and NWAdmin (administer users and groups and printers), which both help manage the NDS tree!
    •Later, NetWare came out with NFA (Native File Access), which made the NETWARE Server look like Window, MAC or Linux client (fooled them). Instead of putting software on your clients (like CSNW, FPNW, etc…) now we have software on Server.
    •Note: When Novell used IPX, there was no DNS or WINS; In Windows and Unix world, we have DNS. NDS servers broadcast using SAP (Service Addressing Protocol); and with routed networks this is a problem since routers disrupt broadcasts).