Options

IT in Canada

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I will be 44 when i eventually emmigrate to Canada with 12 years expierience in IT. What are the chances of me getting into IT in Canada, areas like Vancouver or anywhere in British Columbia??

Comments

• Options
    buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am located in Vancouver. Seems to be a lot of good jobs in the Greater Vancouver area.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it
    Currently working on:
    CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
    HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I am in Vancouver as well...

www.sisystems.com is a good place to check for Jobs.

Where are you moving from?
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    baldychokobaldychoko Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,
    Dont mean to hijack your thread but I am also thinking of moving to canada around this time next year, from Australia. I will have by then 3 yrs experience CCNA and an MCP, I would love to get into short term rollout, contract work. Is there much of a demand in Vancouver? my dream would be to work in Whistler (so i can ride my bike) but i doubt that will happen! or will it?
    I have been using www.monster.ca and have seen a few rollouts \ projects \ migrations.
    Any input would be great, thanks guys
    Nick
  • Options
    I doubt you'd find work in Whistler... Small market and I'm sure its already flooded.

Vancouver is surounded by mountains to the North... a TONNE of biking trails for you there.
  • Options
    buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ditto on the Whistler comment!

you'd feel at home there though, it seems like half the population there is Aussie :D
    Currently working on:
    CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
    HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)
  • Options
    denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also thinking of coming to Canada and live in Toronto...
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    For all intending to come to Canada, you have to take good note of high amount of deductions that will come out of your paycheck and given to lazy people who don't want to get up and work and stay on social assistance. And of course you have to be forced to pay, so other people's kids can be raised and schooled.

Bottom line, be ready to be forced to donate 40% of your gross pay :)
  • Options
    binarysoul wrote:
    For all intending to come to Canada, you have to take good note of high amount of deductions that will come out of your paycheck and given to lazy people who don't want to get up and work and stay on social assistance. And of course you have to be forced to pay, so other people's kids can be raised and schooled.

Ha Ha Ha... Even better is when the rejects move from back East to Vancouver because they want the warmer climate.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Trailerisf wrote:

Ha Ha Ha... Even better is when the rejects move from back East to Vancouver because they want the warmer climate.

You're right. But the provinces also compete to try to keep the welfare cheque the lowest, and laso keep corporate taxes low as well. That way, they can discourage the inflow of those whose life ambition is to collect welfare checks till their last breath :) Businesses also wanna invest where taxes are low and consumers have more than a welfare cheque to be able to buy their products!

An IT job can be very stressful. The last thing you want is that you sweat all day only to find out you also feed the lazy.

Bottom line, those intending to come to Canada, before finding out about IT jobs, please research research how ppl live here!
  • Options
    denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not very sure about the living in Canada but, I may be right to say that, canada is better than Germany right now and, for me it's time to change environment angel.gifangel.gifangel.gif
  • Options
    The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:

thats fine. If you wanna swap residencies and take over my american citizenship, I'll gladly take your canadian citizenship icon_wink.gif