Options

Career Advancement

Myrdyn98Myrdyn98 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just finished my 3rd interview for a position as a Production Technician. Pretty much my responsibility would be working with suppliers to get computer parts, tweak and configure the computers as required (Computers are for stand alone video forensics), ship the computers to the customers, provide occasional hands on training for customers and assist with troubleshooting of the systems with customers over the phone, email and forum.

I'm just curious as to how experience in this job would translate toward high tier IT jobs down the road. Basicly I'm looking to work my way into system/network admin and possibly an IT security job down the road. My question is how well this would look on my resume? Should I accept the job and continue looking for another with the possiblility of moving into another job in a short period of time, or should I stick with it for 1+ yrs? Because I feel that I wont be getting alot of experience geared toward my career path, I would pretty much be turning out computers without much admin or network experience.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a foot in the door, career wise. You will learn a lot fundamentally speaking with this position. Unless the job just totally sucks ass, I would stick it out for at least a year if not longer.

The logical next step in my mind would be a desktop support technician with a company that has a network or supports other companies' networks. You would hopefully be pretty solid in software and hardware troubleshooting by then and would be able to add experience with network client troubleshooting and seeing first hand how systems interact with each other. From there, you would work for a while and be calculating your next stepping stone opportunity.

You won't get to network admin immediately, but if you are diligent and are up to it you will get there some day. It just takes time.

Best of luck to you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Myrdyn98,

I completely understand what you are saying. I took a job last September and have since been wondering will this job help me advance to were I want to be in the future or should I have just kept looking. I hope things work out for you.